Free software pioneer Richard Stallman is battling cancer

Richard Stallman has revealed he is undergoing treatment for non-Hodgkin lymphoma, a form of cancer of the white blood cells, but says that his prognosis is good.

The 70-year-old Stallman appeared at the GNU Project's 40th anniversary celebration in Switzerland on Wednesday a very changed figure. The GNU project is currently celebrating four decades of work on Free Software, as we wrote last week, and Stallman appeared on stage to make the closing speech in Biel/Bienne. His characteristic long hair is gone, as is his beard.

A nearly hairless Stallman pulls down his mask briefly to reveal that his beard has gone, too.
A nearly hairless Stallman pulls down his mask briefly to reveal that his beard has gone, too
In appropriate GNU style, the video is a WebP file on the GNU.org site, rather than being hosted on a commercial streaming service, and at any rate, the sound quality makes it difficult to follow. We suggest downloading the file and playing it locally – VLC supports the format well – but we struggled to discern his words even so. Stallman appeared seated, and was wearing an antiviral face mask, which he urged the audience to do as well. The result is that his voice was muffled, causing members of the audience to call out that they could not hear him.

He said that he is suffering from follicular lymphoma, a form of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. This a blood cancer, which causes B lymphocytes to form clumps in the lymphatic system.

Although a non-Hodgkin lymphoma was also the cause of death of the late Paul Allen, the more charismatic of Microsoft's co-founders, there are multiple types of NHL disease and Stallman has one of the slower-developing types. He said that his prognosis was good and that he hopes to be around and active in GNU for years to come.

Although Stallman is a controversial and polarizing figure, he is widely acknowledged as a pioneer. Without his efforts to formalize and promote Free Software, there would be no Open Source world today. There have been multiple expressions of concern across the internet, and many people wishing him the best.

I have to agree with that. Don't wish cancer on anyone. On the bright side, I believe that lymphomia is very treatable, though I think there are a few different forms and I don't know which he has. Most cancer treatments do lower the immune system, so, it makes sense that he's suggesting to wear a mask.

I doubt the lynch mob of four years ago are very selective about whatever means gets rid of him. He was stabbed in the back by gutless cowards within his own ranks.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery and that he continues to be the thorn in their sides for years to come.

Disclaimer: I was never a GNU fan, but he is one of the few still making any kind of stand against corporate owned and controlled "Open Source", where most others have sold out.

I doubt the lynch mob of four years ago are very selective about whatever means gets rid of him. He was stabbed in the back by gutless cowards within his own ranks.
Wasn't that the pronoun brigade? Now there is a pet hate worth having...
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery and that he continues to be the thorn in their sides for years to come.
Indeed. The best revenge is living a good life.
Disclaimer: I was never a GNU fan, but he is one of the few still making any kind of stand against corporate owned and controlled "Open Source", where most others have sold out.
One does not need to agree with everything he did or does. He is a straight shooter, eating his own dog food, doing what he thinks is right. That is to respect.

Wasn't that the pronoun brigade? Now there is a pet hate worth having...

Indeed. The best revenge is living a good life.

One does not need to agree with everything he did or does. He is a straight shooter, eating his own dog food, doing what he thinks is right. That is to respect.
Yes the "pronoun brigade" were the useful idiots at the time, doing the dirty work. But those who had real reasons for wanting RMS out of the way, only had to sit back and wait for these outraged frothing at the mouth types to finish their work and then thoroughly denounced him, reluctantly supported any action taken against him or sat on the sidelines and kept silent. As with the modern political class, these self styled "activists" dig the dirt on their target and then try to channel an outraged herd mentality to ostracise and expel - combined with the new craze for these "CoC" things in order to somehow legitimise said actions. They then shake their heads with terrible faux regret when they finally get the outcome they desired all along.

More power to him.

Whenever I hear people complaing about the woke, or SJW, I think of:
Lenny Bruce--unable to perform because the authorities threatened anyone who would hire him.
Mort Sahl --political humor, so he was blacklisted.
Muhammad Ali--stripped of titles and preventing from his career in his prime--all before he was convicted.
Colin Kaepernick--like Ali, prevented from working.

And countless others. And I'm sure that those who supported any of these people were accused of whatever that time's terms were for woke, and SJW. And now most people think all of the above and others were treated unfairly. So, when you get upset about someone wanting to be called they or whatever, just remember--when Ali was in his prime, would you have walked up to him and shouted Cassius Clay--don't tell me what to call you.
Well you might have, because he was a gentle man most of the time. But my point is, no less than Ali, these people should be called what they wish to be called. And yes, I am an SJW...straight Jewish Wacko.

My point here, and very off-topic it is, I freely admit, is that while it may be fun to scoff at those who prefer non-standard pronouns, they have a right to be called what they wish to be called.

Wasn't that the pronoun brigade?
It's more nuanced than the "pronoun brigade". Stallman had several times advocated in favor of pedophilia, that is sex between adults and children. The actual downfall happened after Stallman defended Marvin Minsky (of MIT Media Lab fame), who was being accused of having sex with one of the underage girls that the media mogul Epstein provided. Stallman was of the opinion that consensual (!) sex between Minsky and an underage girl should not be considered objectionable. While this is certainly an opinion, it is also one that is not popular at all. His defense of it led to him being fired or forced out by a variety of organizations, including MIT. We can wonder why a very intelligent person would knowingly advocate for things that are clearly far outside the societal consensus, but it's not my job to guess RMS' thought processes.

I wish him a speedy a complete recovery, with minimal side effects of the chemo. I've had several family members and colleagues get non-Hodgkins lymphomas, and even if you make it through (not all do), it's a bear of a disease to fight.

I never met the man but have been a user of GNU and other open source software for a long time, so I'll add my get well soon wishes.
But I'd like to ask Is this the first anyone else has seen him without the beard?

I was surprised that there was hardly any mention of Phil Katz when he died many years ago.

He was a software pioneer in many ways, and is little appreciated for his legacy.

As for RMS, is he the legendary Ty Coon, President of Vice, we read so much about.

Back