Forum's username change

Hello people :)
Is it possible to change my forum's username and keep my posts?
Thanks in advance!

That's possible. Use the contact form to request the change (and what it should be changed to). Any forum admin should be able to change it for you.

If I had to guess, Howard is a reference to Howard the Duck?

If I had to guess, Howard is a reference to Howard the Duck?
No. It's a Three Stooges reference. If you aren't aware of them, see this starting at the one minute mark but you'll enjoy it more if you watch the full minute and a half from the beginning. "Stooge" fans are well aware of the reference.

Decades ago, I was a regular on the MASM forum (Hutch's Microsoft Assembly). I couldn't think of a user name that wasn't used so I chose drhowarddrfinedrhoward. They changed forum software and my name got truncated so I had to shorten it. I used to use that name everywhere but no longer.

Reactions: mer
It's a Three Stooges reference. If you aren't aware of them
I was born in 1971 so it's just before my time. But I did learn about them a long time ago, they're hard to ignore along side other great "classic" movie legends like Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin and Harold Lloyd :)
"Stooge" fans are well aware of the reference.
That's probably why I didn't. I'm not that familiar with them.

I couldn't think of a user name that wasn't used
That was always a big problem in the early days of the internet. All the "cool" names were already taken or given to other people. With the expanse of the internet and the ridiculous amount of forums, social media and whatnot it has gotten even more difficult to find something you like, makes you sort of anonymous, but still be recognizable and identifiable.

Good question, not sure actually, but I think it does. It's nowadays possible to change your username in your profile yourself. It only has to be approved by a moderator. Forum software does keep track of the old names. And that name change can be reverted again in the admin panels.

jbodenmann thanks.

(I tried seeking content for someone else who might have changed their name but on closer inspection, it might be a case of two IDs for a single person.)

When I look at your profile page I can see a little clock icon next to your username. I do believe only moderators/admins can see that, hovering over it shows that the username was changed at some point. Clicking on that icon gives me a popup with the 'previous' names. I can even see the reason you entered.

(I tried seeking content for someone else who might have changed their name but on closer inspection, it might be a case of two IDs for a single person.)
That would potentially violate forum rule #11.
I say potentially because the rule states active and also mentions possible exceptions being applicable.

on closer inspection, it might be a case of two IDs for a single person.)

Please ignore that. As far as I can tell (from the Wayback machine), the person's username changed some time between March 12th and 30th April.

For both usernames, "This member limits who may view their full profile." (synonymity, makes sense). Only one of the two is recognised in e.g. the Posted by: field at <https://forums.freebsd.org/search/> ☑

Back