Fortune teller on terminal/konsole

alie

Aspiring Daemon

Hi guys,

Anyone knows how to embed fortune teller to xterm/terminal/konsole ?

-Alie

tangram

Aspiring Daemon

Edit your .profile and make sure it has the following:

Code:
[ -x /usr/games/fortune ] && /usr/games/fortune freebsd-tips

This works on SSH logins. Not sure if it works on terms under X11 (can check latter when I get home though).

I think you also need to install the games distribution.

tangram

Aspiring Daemon

If you use the t/csh shells add the code line I've posted to .login. It should work.

DutchDaemon

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Developer

AFAIK, this only works on login shells, not on consoles/xterms/Terminals (unless you su after that).

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

It should work on xterm too but you need to start xterm with the -ls switch. Same goes for Terminal and gnome-terminal, it has to be started with the login option (for both Terminal and gnome-terminal this is a setting in the options).

fronclynne

Daemon

Without testing it myself, you might be able to add that line to your .cshrc, or whatever your inferior earth-people shell startup file is.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

fronclynne said:
Without testing it myself, you might be able to add that line to your .cshrc, or whatever your inferior earth-people shell startup file is.

No need, I have tcsh as a default shell and all console logins, xterms, gnome-terminals, Terminals and whatever print a nice fortune.

grahamperrin

Daemon

Konsole​

If you have not already done so, create a non-default profile.

Edit the command to execute when new terminal sessions are created using the profile. Append:

-l

– with a space before the option.

Example:
2020-12-29 12:20:07.png

grahamperrin

Daemon

Thanks. Old, but this topic was very high within Google search results when I sought an answer.

After I gained an answer, I added to this topic – for the benefit of other people who will find the topic.