Solved For watched threads without e-mail notification, alerts do not appear

grahamperrin

Son of Beastie

I assumed that without e-mail notifications, there would be some other method of drawing my attention to new posts in watched threads but it seems that there's no notification; no alert when posts are added.

What am I missing?

PMc

Daemon

Something. For me there is a bell-symbol in the top-right area, and that gets a red flag with the number of watched threads with new posts. (But I have email notification active as well.)

memreflect

Under your Preferences, you can select the forum style, time zone, etc. Below that, you can check some boxes to control when you receive notifications (that bell symbol). I think that might be what you're looking for.

OP
grahamperrin

grahamperrin

Son of Beastie

My preferences (below) are correct. I don't get the required alerts.

1627602003631.png

Vull

Aspiring Daemon

I have these settings. I've never changed them and never receive emails from forums.freebsd.org other than maybe for account verification when I first registered.

Screenshot at 2021-07-29 18-59-14.png

OP
grahamperrin

grahamperrin

Son of Beastie

E-mail is not the problem.

It seems that alerts are broken, when I opt to watch a topic thread without e-mail notifications.

Probably a bug in XenForo, I'll take a look in a XenForo area.

Vull

Aspiring Daemon

"without receiving email notifications" is already ticked by default default when I click the "Watch" button on a thread. It always works for me; I get the notifications under the bell icon but no e-mail.

OP
grahamperrin

grahamperrin

Son of Beastie

As a probable example, the Linux systemd-homed thread pictured below, …

OP
grahamperrin

grahamperrin

Son of Beastie

I'm marking this as Solved only because I find it difficult, sometimes, to understand how XenForo determines whether something is unseen by me. If I can't understand that, I'll not pinpoint a problem (if any).