For anyone interested: Java

sossego

Retired from the forums
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/...4a4f27eba32/entry/do_you_use_java_741?lang=en

Okay.
1. I am a low level user and not a programmer nor developer. I'm working on a personal project with this.
2. My objective is to make the environment user/programmer/tester friendly. Beyond that, I have limited knowledge.
3. Porting software is something that I do not know how to do. I am just letting this be known to the general community.

Please remember that I am an everyday nobody.

Notes: The jre-installer would not extract on Debian; however, the following results are good for FreeBSD.

The installer will hang with a problem extracting the tar.vm.Z file.
Temporary fix: [cmd=]cd /tmp/$TEMP_JVA_DIR/Linux/resource && tar xvf vm.tar.Z[/cmd]
The next break is at $PATH/resource/jre/lib/ddr/j9ddr.jar.

The sdk-installer does not extract properly.
It is suggested by the installer to do a download in binary mode.

Best of luck then.

As a side note, the porter's handbook contains some nice info and you can also use the mailing list for advice.

Build progress is documented on the IBM developerworks forums.
Be aware of the following items:
1. My posts are chaotic in reference to posted errors and build environments.
2. Please note all corrections stated in each post.

Why did I join the Developerworks community and why the current project?

BSD performance on POWER machines- 32 or 64 bit- is better than a similar system with Linux installed. FreeBSD is the only BSD with separate kernels for powerpc and powerpc64. For the second part: I want to use java on powerpc. It isn't available. I need to build my own.
It's a project to help me with school.

Progress update:

I am still working on this.

OpenJDK building is taking some time.

The JamVM will run
Code:
./configure && make
but it will stop at
Code:
make install
with a recursive type error i.e. symbolic links.

VMKit porting is taking a little while due to my inexperience with cmake.

Reverse engineering- properly disassembling- the powerpc-ibm binaries is at a stand still because of my limited experience with objdump and how to use it.

This project is still being worked on.

Back