fonts issue on browser and terminal

browser.pngterminal.png

I did everything in the thread below but some sites still display these characters and the terminal has not changed.

fonts in .Xdefaults
Code:
URxvt*font: xft:Monospace:pixelsize=12
URxvt*boldFont: xft:Monospace:pixelsize=12

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/installing-truetype-fonts-on-freebsd.65261/

.Xdefaults is NOT read anymore, for a long time, AFAIK. Either use .Xdefaults-yourhostname, or put it in .Xresources and read in from e.g. your .xinitrc using xrdb .Xresources.

.Xresources with xrdb .Xresources in .xinitrc made matter worst since even urxvt could not be read from it. .Xdefaults-hostname did not change anything I am sure I am missing something.

If your LANG environment variable doesn't use UTF-8 (e.g. you're using EUC-JP, Big5, GB18030, ISO-8859-1, or something other than UTF-8), the output from something like curl wttr.in may not appear properly in the terminal, but you can usually also just use curl wttr.in | iconv -f utf-8 to convert from UTF-8 to your system's character set as well. This may cause trouble with the colored output unfortunately, so you'll need to use curl wttr.in?T | iconv -f utf-8 if the output is wrong because of colors. However, encoding issues like this are separate from having the fonts necessary to display the correct characters.

For the font issue I see in the browser screenshot, you appear to be missing CJK fonts to display Chinese, Japanese, and Korean characters. For that, you can install the x11-fonts/noto pkg/port (it's actually a "meta-port", meaning it actually installs a group of related packages; the download size is ~830 MiB for all of them, if that matters, and ~1 GiB of storage will be required.) You may need to restart your X server to see the correct characters being rendered. You should also verify the fonts chosen by the browser for displaying such characters; your browser may need to be configured to use the necessary fonts.

This is a brand new install being located in the US I thought adding
Code:
:charset=UTF-8:\
        :lang=en_US.UTF-8:\
        :setenv=LC_COLLATE=C:
to .login_conf will fix the UTF-8 issue. Is there something else to do to fix troubles with UTF-8?

This is a brand new install being located in the US I thought adding
Code:
:charset=UTF-8:\
        :lang=en_US.UTF-8:\
        :setenv=LC_COLLATE=C:
to .login_conf will fix the UTF-8 issue. Is there something else to do to fix troubles with UTF-8?
That should fix the UTF-8 issue after you use cap_mkdb ~/.login_conf and log out and log back in.

Definitely there is an issue with urxvt(), since with the exactly same setup it perfectly works in Linux (Debian), but not in FreeBSD.
In my case I use 2 fonts for urxvt in .Xresources:
Code:
URxvt.font: xft:DejaVu Sans Mono:size=10, xft:Symbola:size=10
However, urxvt refuses displaying certain characters, e.g. 🚚 (small truck, which appears in email subjects regarding online orders).
If I use only the second font, it works (but regular text appers very ugly).

I tried to rebuild x11/rxvt-unicode several times with different encoding-related options enabled/disabled, but that didn't help.

you have not installed the necessary fonts. pkg install x11-fonts/noto

you have not installed the necessary fonts. pkg install x11-fonts/noto

Installed noto now, and once again ran cap_mkdb ~/.login_conf. After a reboot, the sequence of fixes worked like a charm !

Another font question:

Is it required to append .login_conf with similar / specific instructions as related to x11 Noto, or do something else for truetype and other font families? Or would all font families work from now on?

Thank you.

Back