Solved Font very small on screen

Hello, i'm having a weird issue on MATE where fonts are very small on apps

1674410938318.png

It also happens on LibreOffice and hp-setup, it seems like to happen on software that uses QT.

With Libreffice, at least, you can set the font size, by going to Tools=>Options=>Fonts. Towards the bottom there's a dropdown for size.
There are probably similar settings in the other apps you mention. A cursory web search for font size VLC gives many results, though the first one I looked at was just for subtitles.

However, there is an old thread on VLC forums. about tweaking qt.
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=135185#p476641
The post linked above mentions finding a pkg qt4-settings but I think that was Ubuntu. A quick pkg search didn't find one but there is a package qt5-ct, a qt5 configuration tool.

There is some information on the internet. Try setting autoscaling to Off(0) and applying a factor in ~/.profile:

export QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0
export QT_SCALE_FACTOR=1.5

EDIT:

or text only:

export QT_FONT_DPI=128

Edit my comment. Did you really add "export"? Did you login again? Some sites talk about a required qt5-gtk package dependency in Linux.

Nope still not, here is my ./profile file

# $FreeBSD$
#
# .profile - Bourne Shell startup script for login shells
#
# see also sh(1), environ(7).
#

# These are normally set through /etc/login.conf. You may override them here
# if wanted.
# PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:$HOME/bin; export PATH

# Setting TERM is normally done through /etc/ttys. Do only override
# if you're sure that you'll never log in via telnet or xterm or a
# serial line.
# TERM=xterm; export TERM

EDITOR=vi; export EDITOR
PAGER=less; export PAGER

# set ENV to a file invoked each time sh is started for interactive use.
ENV=$HOME/.shrc; export ENV

# Let sh(1) know it's at home, despite /home being a symlink.
if [ "$PWD" != "$HOME" ] && [ "$PWD" -ef "$HOME" ] ; then cd ; fi

# Query terminal size; useful for serial lines.
if [ -x /usr/bin/resizewin ] ; then /usr/bin/resizewin -z ; fi

# Display a random cookie on each login.
if [ -x /usr/bin/fortune ] ; then /usr/bin/fortune freebsd-tips ; fi

QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0
QT_SCALE_FACTOR=1.5
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
export QT_FONT_DPI=128

Your "QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct" f.e. should be set for your whole X session, and not just for a shell (f.e. those settings in ~/.profile wouldn't make any effect on my system); So I recommend to set this either in ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc (the one you are using on your setup) before the window manager or desktop environment starts (alternatively there might be something like an autostart option within your desktop environment, which allows you to set such variables).

And just to be sure…: As you set this variable to "qt5ct" … of course you installed the corresponding port/package "misc/qt5ct" - and executed it?

Your "QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct" f.e. should be set for your whole X session, and not just for a shell (f.e. those settings in ~/.profile wouldn't make any effect on my system); So I recommend to set this either in ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc (the one you are using on your setup) before the window manager or desktop environment starts (alternatively there might be something like an autostart option within your desktop environment, which allows you to set such variables).

And just to be sure…: As you set this variable to "qt5ct" … of course you installed the corresponding port/package "misc/qt5ct" - and executed it?
yes i did executed it, lemme try to put all of this in xinitrc file, and i'll give the results if it worked, or not.

Nope it did nothing :/
Five questions:
  1. Just to be sure…: Of course you did log off and on your X session?
  2. How do you start your MATE desktop environment? Is ~/.xinitrc involved?
  3. Does echo $QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME say "qt5ct"?
  4. Says grep -A2 Fonts ~/.config/qt5ct/qt5ct.conf that there are font settings?
  5. If #4 is valid and #3 isn't: Setting $QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME in f.e. a xterm and starting VLC from that xterm - does that work?
Also check if the involved files are readable by your user (and not been edited/set by root). You might also check a temporary blank new test user account if there's a difference.

You may need to set the DPI in your Xorg scripts (i.e .xinitrc, .xsession).

Code:
$ xrandr --dpi 96

Occasionally, this gets set to a larger value like 120 with certain machines. I don't quite know the rules behind this.

So hello, i actually found out that the QT settings were modifying the MATE dpi settings, anith we some thinkering its fixed !

Make sure that your DPI settings are not set automatically
So disable the "Automatic detection" setting here:
1674484353617.png

Back