Solved fluxbox immediately quits after upgrade of xorg and xf86-video-intel

In late March, I upgraded my system from FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE to FreeBSD-12.2-RELEASE. Before upgrading, my packages were all up to date. The upgrade went smoothly.

Background

Last week, pkg version showed I had many packages to upgrade. I first upgraded a small batch of programs I use frequently (eg - www/firefox), tested, and everything was fine. I then upgraded Xorg and xf86-video-intel together with pkg upgrade xorg xf86-video-intel.

Since the latter upgrade, x11-wm/fluxbox no longer works (it did not need to be upgraded; I eventually forced a reinstall). Specifically, I use startx as usual; fluxbox will start, reads .fluxbox/startup, executes the first few commands in that script (eg - fbsetbg), then fluxbox and X immediately shut down.

My fluxbox config was created in 2004, so I thought perhaps I needed to modify a few things, but other than a missing session.menuSearch in .fluxbox/init, there was nothing I needed to change.

The problem

After fluxbox and X quit from startx, I get the following output (I've excluded the standard components of the message):

Code:
xauth:  file /home/absurdium/.serverauth.1990 does not exist

XOrg X Server 1.20.11
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p6 amd64
Current Operating System: loco.local 12.2-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p4 GENERIC amd64
(==) Using config directory: "/usr/local/share/X11/xorg.config.d"
[intel_init_bufmgr: 1936] Kernel 3.9 required
Logging to: /home/absurdium/.fluxbox/log
Floating point exception
xinit: Connection to X server lost

On a lark, I tried using twm instead, and it works fine, but I'd rather go back to fluxbox.

This appears related to PR 225035 (see comment 10, for example) and PR 253258. I've read through some mailing list archives, to no avail.

Given the output, I assume the problem is associated with the upgrade of xf86-video-intel.

Any ideas?

scottro, I already have drm-kmod installed.

Code:
% pkg info | grep drm
drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20201016_2
drm-kmod-g20190710_1
libdrm-2.4.104,1

% pkg info | grep "xf86-video"
xf86-video-intel-2.99.917.916,1
xf86-video-scfb-0.0.5_2
xf86-video-vesa-2.5.0

I'm not sure which package pulled in which other packages when I first installed them, but these were all installed as of my pre-upgrade state in March.

I tried deleting xf86-video-intel and rebooted. Doing so results in X failing to start. I don't know enough about graphics drivers or kernel modules to know how to continue from here.

Whimsical aside: Before rebooting, I issued the command kldunload i915kms (my system also had drm2.ko loaded, so I figured I'd try this), which resulted in an immediate loss of video. I had to type blindly at the terminal until I managed to reboot.

It's odd that fluxbox won't run but twm does. I don't know enough about it either. I might try creating a new user and seeing if said new user can run it. I know you've said you've already examined your $HOME/.fluxbox, but as it's a quick think to do, what about temporarily renaming that and seeing if it makes a difference?

I've had times when openbox wouldn't work but fluxbox would--I've actually never run into fluxbox not working and another window manager working. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I then upgraded Xorg and xf86-video-intel together with pkg upgrade xorg xf86-video-intel.
This is where you're going wrong. Don't upgrade individual packages, upgrade everything; pkg upgrade.

Code:
Logging to: /home/absurdium/.fluxbox/log
Doesn't that mean that there is a logfile?

Problems with drivers (e.g. xf86-video-intel) are often times mentioned in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

I know you've said you've already examined your $HOME/.fluxbox, but as it's a quick think to do, what about temporarily renaming that and seeing if it makes a difference?

After posting my previous comment, I moved my old .fluxbox to a temp location and started with a fresh copy, and it indeed fixed the problem. I haven't had time to inspect the differences between the old one and the new to determine why my 17-year-old config files suddenly caused this problem.

Doesn't that mean that there is a logfile?

That was a fluxbox log, and provided no info besides the options with which it was configured and default settings.

This is where you're going wrong

I do normally upgrade everything at once.

Anway, everything appears to be working as it should again. I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you!

Glad you fixed it. As the originator of the thread, you can mark it solved if you wish. Just edit the first post, and you'll see a place to prefix the thread title. You can choose solved from the prefix options.

Back