Flash on FreeBSD Guide, Common Problems and Solutions

Thanks wblock, linux-f10-nss solved it all installed, but Flash is still not working, Mozilla 3.6.4 does not see npwrapper.libflashplayer.so in about:plugins if I copied it to /etc/local/lib/firefox3/plugins file appears in the browser but the video still does not work ...

I try
Code:
#mkdir -p /usr/compat/linux/proc
#mount /usr/compat/linux/proc
#/etc/rc.d/abi start
#nspluginwrapper -a -r
#nspluginwrapper -a -i
no result...

Andrey said:
Thanks wblock, linux-f10-nss solved it all installed, but Flash is still not working, Mozilla 3.6.4 does not see npwrapper.libflashplayer.so in about:plugins if I copied it to /etc/local/lib/firefox3/plugins file appears in the browser but the video still does not work ...

Not sure why you did that. Remove that copy, then as your normal user, not root, run nspluginwrapper. Also make sure you have linux_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.

I have
Code:
linux_enable="YES"
in /etc/rc.conf.

I did as a normal user, npwrapper.libflashplayer.so now copied correctly, but instead of video black box again...

Should I set a "YES" in /boot/defaults/loader.conf ?
Code:
linprocfs_load="NO"             # Linux compatibility process filesystem
linsysfs_load="NO"              # Linux compatibility system filesystem
linux_load="YES"                # Linux emulation

Andrey said:
Should I set a "YES" in /boot/defaults/loader.conf ?
linprocfs_load="NO" # Linux compatibility process filesystem
linsysfs_load="NO" # Linux compatibility system filesystem
linux_load="YES" # Linux emulation

No, never change /boot/defaults/loader.conf or /etc/defaults/rc.conf. Those are the defaults. They are overridden by what you have set in /boot/loader.conf and /etc/rc.conf.

The only other thing that comes to mind for Flash would be to update to the latest www/firefox, but it should work anyway.

DutchDaemon, sorry...

wblock, can you give me please a version of libflashplayer.so which works with Mozilla 3.6.4 ?
because I 300M source code plus the dependent libraries for a week does not compile :(

Andrey said:
wblock, can you give me please a version of libflashplayer.so which works with Mozilla 3.6.4 ?
because I 300M source code plus the dependent libraries for a week does not compile :(

The version you built should work. The key is probably in how you managed to build it without installing the required Linux emulation ports. There may be other missing ports.

There should also be a package for the newer Firefox.

wblock, thank you for be patient with me! you gave me good advice!
You were right a couple of modules have been missed. During "make install", we can see what modules are missing this important point I missed...

linux-f10-flashplugin-10.1r102.65 works fine with FireFox 3.6.4 - video and sound work!

At first I was getting the following errors with www/linux-f10-flashplugin10:
Code:
$ firefox3
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so [/usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-
flashplugin/libflashplayer.so: unsupported file layout]
So I reinstalled the port, mounted linsysfs, and then followed the Handbook's instructions again for FreeBSD 8 and www/firefox. This time, I came across a new error:
Code:
$ firefox3
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/home/admin/.mozilla/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so [Cannot execute objects on 
/usr/home]
All of my partitions except for / are on ZFS[1], and I had exec=off specified for /usr/home.
I was able to fix the issue with the following:# zfs exec=on halo/usr/home
Everything works quite well, now.

[1] A slight modification of this howto: http://forums.freebsd.org:8080/showthread.php?t=10334

biniar said:
/compat/linux/sys <--The normal mount point for linsysfs.
/compat/linux/proc <--The normal mount point for the linprocfs.

I could be wrong, but the default location changed at some point, I believe possibly 8.0? I'm not sure whether this is the legacy or new location, but either way, I have them symlinked on my box. I'd recommend the same to ensure compatibility with all applications.

ikbendeman said:
For amd64 /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC
Code:
options      COMPAT_FREEBSD32
options      COMPAT_43
options      COMPAT_LINUX32

My customized kernel in fresh 9.0-RC1 amd64 run Linux emulation without any problem with 2 options.
Code:
options      COMPAT_FREEBSD32
options      COMPAT_LINUX32

Firefox 18.0
Reinstalled the plugin.

Code:
$ nspluginwrapper -a -v -i /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
Auto-install plugins from /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin
Looking for plugins in /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin
/usr/local/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/usr/local/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Auto-install plugins from /home/dimdim/.mozilla/plugins
Looking for plugins in /home/dimdim/.mozilla/plugins
$ locate linux/npviewer.bin
$ ls /usr/local/lib/nspluginwrapper
i386	noarch
$ ls /usr/local/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386

freebsd	linux
$ 
$ ls /usr/local/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux
libnoxshm.so	npviewer	npviewer.bin

Back