Flash and VirtualBox on FreeBSD

Sorry guys, I have to admit this post is just because I did not like previous post (the one with Done w/ .... ) to be seen from main forum page :)

I work in a small company, every computer here is with FreeBSD (our workstations), and ofcouse we have servers too. We tried alot to find a way to install flash, but until now we weren't able to make it work properly. Reading few weeks ago a post here on forum made us happy because it might be possible now on freebsd 8.x to install flash and work similar with linux version. This would be a great thing to FreeBSD world (even if it could take long until Adobe release a BSD version).

We do not like flash, is closed source but we have to admit most of website do have flash and is hard sometimes not to be able to see flash.

Regarding flash: I do have a laptop which runs Debian Linux because we needed flash and I did not want windows. (I do not like Debian much, you can easely make your linux system unbootable by doing wrong package management). After using Flash under Debian I can say sometimes firefox is very slow, sometimes I must restart it, it is not a 100% working solution. Probably is becouse of poor flash coding on some websites but I've experienced problems with youtube's hd. Well, either way, if flash is not working 100% ok on Linux, we must not expert to work 100% ok in FreeBSD.

The other good thing which is really good (and in a couple of months it will probably production ready) is, in my opinion VirtualBox. I know there is jail, but sometimes you have to test things in other OS-es and you do not want to have a computer with every OS. And you do not want to configure it from command line. And you then want to clone an OS to make some destructive tests. Linux have vmware which is not open source, still when you need it you buy it. Now we will have VirtualBox which will make many people happy.

Well, in the end thank you guys here on forum for gread work you do.

overmind said:
We tried alot to find a way to install flash, but until now we weren't able to make it work properly. Reading few weeks ago a post here on forum made us happy because it might be possible now on freebsd 8.x to install flash and work similar with linux version. This would be a great thing to FreeBSD world (even if it could take long until Adobe release a BSD version).
Flash works fine on 7.2 too. It has been working ok for me since flash 7.

deranged said:
the biggest difference is 7.x works with flasplugin9 and 8x works with flashplugin10.
Flash10 works fine on my 7.2-stable.

In my personal experience I've found 8.0 with flash10 seems more stable but if you're not ready for freebsd8 yet you may just want to keep in mind if firefox gets laggy killall npviewer.bin :)
Don't use killall, use pkill.

Back