Flash 10 on FreeBSD works better than on linux

Well, this is an old topic and such, but... no, Flash 10 works better on Fedora, which is technically superior to other distros around there (well-compiled toolchain, libc, and such), and, not by chance (I suppose), is used on the Linux emulation layer of FreeBSD. I know this because I have FreeBSD and Fedora on my desktop, and the performance of Flash on both are identical. I've never seen any other distro handle Flash so well. It is a pain on Ubuntu, Debian, OpenSuSE, Sabayon, Arch, and even Gentoo.

I apologize for this message, but my experience proves the contrary of what is stated on this topic.

(well, probably it will vary depending on hardware, but it is only a personal experience, not an undisputed truth)

Unixicity said:
I know this because I have FreeBSD and Fedora on my desktop, and the performance of Flash on both are identical.

So You propably also know, that FreeBSD uses cut to minimum Fedora (currently release 10) to provide Linux compatibility ;)

vermaden said:
So You propably also know, that FreeBSD uses cut to minimum Fedora (currently release 10) to provide Linux compatibility ;)

Yes, the "minimum" is what matters. The emulation/translation of syscalls/whatever in FreeBSD seems to be very efficient, since it equates (at least with Flash) to a real Linux kernel running.

Yes! Without linux.

quvi + cclive + mplayer (ffmpeg, x264, ...) + elinks

(all latest versions from git repos)

Why? Propiertary video players sucks.

That only handles sites similar to youtube and not all content even there. You're treating flash as another video format but many sites use flash for navigation and other interactive processes.

richardpl said:
Such sites are not worth looking.

Well, most people are thinking similar about Youtube or videos on the WWW per se. But I think it has something to do with your personal taste. Usually I'm happy without videos on the net and it would be nice to never see this crap again, that said it's just my very personal opinion. But we're way offtopic by now.

richardpl said:
quvi + cclive + mplayer (ffmpeg, x264, ...) + elinks
Do you ever have problems using these with Youtube? I had cclive working initially, but now I just seem to get this error with video links:

Code:
error: parse: libquvi: no match: (?i)"video_id": "(.*?)"

aragon said:
Do you ever have problems using these with Youtube? I had cclive working initially, but now I just seem to get this error with video links:

Code:
error: parse: libquvi: no match: (?i)"video_id": "(.*?)"

Did I ever mention in this thread that I am using latest stuff from git?

Back