Solved First install 11.2 but it can't mount zfs root.

HI,

It happened to me before but I cannot remember how I solved this a couple of years back.

I installed FreeBSD before, like a week ago with no issues, but now it won't mount the ZFS root (error similar to this but not exact, mine is for zfsroot as I soon as I touch a key it reboots

It is fresh install on external USB 3.0 ssd drive. it installs fine and as far as I can see everything is detected and went ahead correctly.
It boots normal but then fails like this:

Code:
Manual root filesystem specification:
  <fstype>:<device> [options]
      Mount <device> using filesystem <fstype>
      and with the specified (optional) option list.

eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
        zfs:tank
        cd9660:/dev/acd0 ro
          (which is equivalent to: mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/acd0 /)

?               List valid disk boot devices
  .               Yield 1 second (for background tasks)
  <empty line>    Abort manual input

I am not sure what it want. The drive is fine, no errors. I deleted all partitions and tried again with same error.
When installing I accepted all defaults, ZFS auto, entire disk.

Any idea?

OK, 3rd time lucky.

I reinstalled but this time, I unchecked disable reading kernel message for unprivileged users, and the very next option which is also for unprivileged user, which I cannot remember.

it booted fine.

I have no idea what is the relationship....

Or it could be that when the installation finished and chose to exit, it went through the motion, synced buffers and detached everything then it hung.
the second time I waited for about 10 minutes before forcing the laptop to reboot. it worked after that … maybe ...

I am going to mark this as reolved. I cannot reproduce. I reinstalled about 10 times mimicking what i did first 2 times. I cannot reproduce.

Back