Solved Firefox font missing--Chinese

Hi,

I was using VIMB browser, which shows Chinese fonts good. But VIMB has problems crashing when using youtube, so I switched to Firefox.

Firefox doesn't show Chinese fonts. In Firefox's preference, I don't see Chinese fonts.

So, why Firefox cannot show Chinese fonts?

Btw, I also can see Chinese fonts on the URXVT terminal.
Thanks!

Firefox allows you to change fonts depending on the script desired. If Firefox is not using the correct fonts, you may want to configure which fonts are used for Simplified Chinese and/or Traditional Chinese:

Preferences > Fonts and Colors > Advanced > Fonts for Simplified Chinese

Firefox allows you to change fonts depending on the script desired. If Firefox is not using the correct fonts, you may want to configure which fonts are used for Simplified Chinese and/or Traditional Chinese:

Preferences > Fonts and Colors > Advanced > Fonts for Simplified Chinese
The list of fonts in <Preferences...Fonts for Chinese> does not show any Chinese font. So, I guess I have to install it. Can anyone point me in the direction to installing Chinese fonts ? And where to find Chinese fonts for firefox.

Btw, my URXVT terminal and VIMB browser show Chinese fonts. So my system has Chinese fonts in it. But firefox either doesnt know where to find it or doesnt like the type.

I've not been able to duplicate your issue (with Japanese rather than Chinese). There's also qutebrowser for another minimalist browser, it will pull in a lot of qt packages. As for finding Chinese fonts, I did a quick pkg search font |grep Chinese and found zh-font-std-0.0.20090602 and zh-kcfonts-1.05_4, but if you're seeing Chinese in terminal I suspect the problem lies elsewhere, You can also install chromium (not chrome) from package or port, and the only, somewhat cumbersome, workaround that springs to mind is using youtube_dl, also available as a package, to download videos, then play them with mpv or other media player. Every time I've had this issue at all, it was because I didn't have any Japanese fonts installed, so unlike you, I wouldn't see them in terminal or any other program.

Sometimes, I've been unable to *input* Japanese in gtk3 applications. I use fcitx as input manager, and I would have to install fcitx-gtk3, but I haven't run into that in a long time. I realize it's Japanese and not Chinese but as the issue is Asian characters, I hope that if nothing else, this gives you some ideas. Otherwise, apologies for wasting your time.

If you like, you can mark the thread solved. (Go to the original post, hit edit, and you will see an option to add or change the prefix). And thanks for coming back and letting us know how you fixed it.

Back