Solved Firefox different for different OS?

Greetings all,

I have installed Firefox 59.0.2 64-bit on both FreeBSD and Windows 7. When I want to log into one of my accounts, there is a notification:
Authenticate with Java Web Start requires Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed on the system, with Web Start launcher (javaws) configured to process downloaded JNLP files, either by file extension or by file content type. These configuration steps are performed by standard JRE installation process. Java Applet Plugin is NOT required.
Despite the claim that
Beginning with Firefox 52 (released March 2017), plug-in support is limited to Adobe Flash, and drops support for NPAPI, impacting plugins for Java, Silverlight, and other similar NPAPI based plugins.
however, I was able to log in with the Windows 7 Firefox.

Am I missing something?

Kindest regards,

M

Java Web Start doesn't use the Java browser plugin. Instead, you click a link on a website, it downloads a .jnlp file to your device, then Firefox launches the javaws application and passes the .jnlp file to it. That opens a separate window running the Java program. The .jnlp file contains all the information for finding the JAR files online, starting the JVM, etc, etc.

It allows you to run Java programs by launching them from the browser, instead of running them as part of the browser interface/process.

For all of that to work, though, you need to have a Java runtime installed, and a javaws client enabled in the browser. I believe java/icedtea-web does that for you.

Hi lebarondemerde,

thank you, it worked.

Hi phoenix,

yes, I was aware how the Java Web Start worked. However, the statement that I quoted explicitly states that the steps you described "are performed by standard JRE" which is required to be "installed on the system". This is different from your description. Hence my confusion.

Since I do not remember installing anything on the Windows machine, is an equivalent of java/icedtea-web built in/installed by default on Firefox for Windows?

Kindest regards,

M

Since I do not remember installing anything on the Windows machine, is an equivalent of java/icedtea-web built in/installed by default on Firefox for Windows?
It isn't. I'm certain you have the Sun/Oracle Java JRE installed on Windows. You may have installed it a long time ago and don't remember doing it.

Hi SirDice,

I have checked (extensions, plugins), no JRE, I also went to "Verify Java Version" and I received
We have detected you are using the 64-bit version of Firefox which will not run the Java plugin. Use the Java Control Panel to find the installed Java version. More info

Very confusing.

Kindest regards,

M

Greetings all,

I know that I marked the issue as solved, but a curiosity that hopefully will not kill the cat, kept me interested, and as I understand it now the .jnlp file that is requested by the Java Web Start differentiates among architectures and even operating systems. Thus, I now speculate that the .jnlp my be optimized for Windows; hence he Firefox on Windows worked and on FreeBSD required the java/icedtea-web

Kindest regards,

M

I have checked (extensions, plugins), no JRE, I also went to "Verify Java Version" and I received
It's not a plugin or an extension, so you're looking in the wrong place. Look at what's installed in "Apps and Features" on Windows, there you will find Java.

I know that I marked the issue as solved, but a curiosity that hopefully will not kill the cat, kept me interested, and as I understand it now the .jnlp file that is requested by the Java Web Start differentiates among architectures and even operating systems. Thus, I now speculate that the .jnlp my be optimized for Windows; hence he Firefox on Windows worked and on FreeBSD required the java/icedtea-web
It's not. The *.jnlp file is handed off to whatever JRE you have installed. On Windows this is usually the Sun/Oracle Java JRE.

It works just like downloading and opening a *.txt file. On Windows this opens notepad.exe because the *.txt file is associated with it. It works exactly the same on Linux or FreeBSD, it opens whatever application is associated with *.txt files.

Hi SirDice,

as always, you are correct, I have jre1.8.0_161 installed.

I download the *.jnlp file and opened it. It looks like an *.xlm formatted file with blocks of ACII characters.

Kindest regards,

M

Back