Firefox autocompletes url against my will

I while ago, if I typed abcd in the urlbar, I got the message that that website does not exist.

No it is completed to www.abcd.com or something like that. And I cannot disable it. Any hint, how to do it?

It is always the same, firefox has always more features that are more a security risk than an advantage,
and it takes a lot of time to disable them.

And the problem are not the suggestions. The problem is that I type "abcd" and it interpretes it
as "www.abcd.com" and tries to go there.

The following configuration for me when I type abcd in the urlbar, it drops down with "search using Duck Duck Go"

Settings, Search, Search Bar
I have "Add search bar in toolbar"

Settings, Search, Default Search Engine
I have DuckDuckGo

Settings, Search, Search Suggestions
I have everything unchecked

Settings, Privacy and Security, Address Bar - Firefox Suggest.
I have everything unchecked, and make sure to disable:
Suggestions from the Web
Suggestions from sponsor
Improve the Firefox Suggest experience

What I have noticed, if you don't type the http:// in front of the URL, it will 'automagically' assume it's something you want to search, even if you turn this whole "search from addressbar" malarkey off. That's indeed quite annoying. I've 'leaked' many 'internal' hostnames to google that way.

Or "abcd" and then "Return"/"Enter"?

When I type return/enter.

In about:config set this to false

I have it so. It seems, it does not work anymore.

it will 'automagically' assume it's something you want to search

I disabled it, and it is still disabled. But I do not remember how.

Always more feature bloat. A lot of customization possibilities of non sense. Continuous stress trying to guess
how to disable the features with the multiple customization possibilities.

The problem is that I type "abcd" and it interpretes it
as "www.abcd.com" and tries to go there.
This is browser.fixup.alternate.prefix (www) and browser.fixup.alternate.suffix (.com). Both should be turned off when browser.fixup.alternate.enabled is set to 'false'. But I do believe this is set to 'false' by default.

Back