Solved Firefox-80 and Youtube

A. Force reinstall nvida drivers and restart system.

FreeBSD-12.1p8
Firefox-80.0_3,1

Since upgrading to firefox 80 on August 25 I have been unable to watch YouTube videos, but hat may have been a co-incidence. The video appears to load but it will not progress. Occasionally an error-like message shows up saying if playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device. I have tried this with a fresh Firefox profile and no add-ons but the result is the same. No streaming. The load bar progresses and I can view frames from that but the streming video does not play in the viewer window.

I have also tried to do this using chromium, without add-ons as well, and the result is the same.

I infer from this that YT has changed its delivery format to something that my install of FreeBSD does not support. Has anyone else run into this or something similar? Is the a known cause. Is there a fix?

Last edited:
1: Try running
Code:
firefox
on a open terminal an see what happens. Don't close the terminal. If nothing else happens, check out dmesg, this way:
Code:
 dmesg | grep firefox
Note: Copy & Paste the info to here, to see if something's get wrong
2: Try unisntalling Firefox (previously saving your data), then try with previous versions.

mine has been fine but lat night I was playing around with the sound it started doing this if playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device when I reset sound back to where it was and rebooted all was ok again and my progress bar was also moving to

chromium is ok firefox will not play music on youtube
$ firefox
JavaScript error: moz-extension://cc880772-898d-40eb-984d-985632be426b/js/speech.js, line 146: TypeError: 'microphone' (value of 'name' member of PermissionDescriptor) is not a valid value for enumeration PermissionName.
JavaScript error: , line 0: uncaught exception: Object
JavaScript error: undefined, line 0: Error: Missing host permission for the tab, and any iframes
JavaScript error: moz-extension://b1ecd4e6-b53e-46c1-beb6-8cc5a0906fd6/scripts/ythd.js, line 125: TypeError: player is null
JavaScript error: moz-extension://b1ecd4e6-b53e-46c1-beb6-8cc5a0906fd6/scripts/ythd.js, line 125: TypeError: player is null
JavaScript error: moz-extension://b1ecd4e6-b53e-46c1-beb6-8cc5a0906fd6/scripts/ythd.js, line 125: TypeError: player is nul

I carried out a complete fresh 12.1 zfs Raid 1+0 install two weeks ago. Using packages , installed xorg and then the rest of the packages I use. Nevertheless, to offer some hope to you, I install a list of packages as follows that allow YouTube to work very well. Here is the syntax I use: pkg install firefox libreoffice gimp rhythmbox vlc
Hope this may help you on your quest.

I found that the pkg firefox seems to be a little behind
Firefox-80.0_3,1 that byrnejb has. My version, from packages, (using latest, not quarterly), is firefox-80.0.1,1
So, I'm not positive that rpowell47's list will solve things. (But I'm guessing the problem isn't widespread or we'd hear from more people that have it.)

This is what I get when running firefox from the command line:
Code:
[byrnejb_hll@vhost01 ~ (master)]$ firefox -P --no-remote
JavaScript error: resource://gre/modules/XULStore.jsm, line 66: Error: Can't find profile directory.
JavaScript error: resource://gre/modules/XULStore.jsm, line 66: Error: Can't find profile directory.

###!!! [Child][RunMessage] Error: Channel closing: too late to send/recv, messages will be lost

console.warn: services.settings: Could not determine network status. Message: TypeError: Cc[aContract] is undefined
console.warn: services.settings: Could not determine network status. Message: TypeError: gNetworkLinkService is undefined
console.warn: services.settings: Could not determine network status. Message: TypeError: gNetworkLinkService is undefined
. . .
These warning messages continue until I close the Firefox window.

However, if I first do this:
Code:
[root@vhost01 ~ (master)]# xmodmap
xmodmap:  up to 4 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x69)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x6c),  Meta_L (0xcd)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3     
mod4        Super_L (0x85),  Super_R (0x86),  Super_L (0xce),  Hyper_L (0xcf)
mod5        ISO_Level3_Shift (0x5c),  Mode_switch (0xcb)

Then when I run Firefox again I see this:
Code:
[byrnejb_hll@vhost01 ~ (master)]$ firefox -P --no-remote
console.error: Region.jsm: "Error fetching region" (new TypeError("NetworkError when attempting to fetch resource.", ""))
console.error: Region.jsm: "Failed to fetch region" (new Error("NO_RESULT", "resource://gre/modules/Region.jsm", 343))
IPDL protocol error: Handler returned error code!

###!!! [Parent][DispatchAsyncMessage] Error: PLayerTransaction::Msg_ReleaseLayer Processing error: message was deserialized, but the handler returned false (indicating failure)

IPDL protocol error: Handler returned error code!

###!!! [Parent][DispatchAsyncMessage] Error: PLayerTransaction::Msg_ReleaseLayer Processing error: message was deserialized, but the handler returned false (indicating failure)

. . .

I tried re-running [root@vhost01 ~ (master)]# nvidia-xconfig. However this had no effect.

For the record:
seem to be working fine (snopyta might be a little overloaded though). Even the previously broken channel listings have been fixed. I am quite happy someone seems to be taking care of the codebase. While i perfectly understand people wanting to have a fully functional browser i could not care less about Youtube (which - not even mentioning Google and their tracking - has become a sluggish javascript hell pushing pointless UI changes in my opinion) as long as there are working invidious instances.

Edit:

Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        Youtube Optimizations
// @namespace   youtube_optimize
// @include     *://www.youtube.com/*
// @include     *://youtube.com/*
// @version     1
// @grant       none
// @run-at document-start
// ==/UserScript==

document.location.href = 'https://invidious.tube' +
  document.location.pathname + document.location.search
;

This should fix Youtube problems pretty much permanently. I also have another script that tries to automate switching between instances if things look broken while replacing the top left link to the home page of the current instance with a link to the same page on another one so switching becomes a one click action (if it doesn't happen automatically to begin with) but it's seriously ugly so i haven't included it here. If there is interest in something like this just let me know though.

All right, if the problems are the drivers, you know what you have to do. I mean: install the specifics drivers (by pkg or the ports). Try with that. I'll do a fresh install and try to see what happens.
What Rel do you have, and which processor?

I reinstalled the nvidia driver ( pkg install -f nvidia-driver-390) and restarted the system. Firefox can now play YouTube video and audio. Thanks for the help.

Glad to hear it's working again. If you wish, you can mark the thread solved. (Hit edit on the first post, and you'll prefix before the title. Hit the arrow and you see solved as an option--just mentioning how because, at least to me, it's not intuitive).

Back