Solved firefox 58 missing library

hi,

I am trying the ff58 , not installed, I just unpacked the txz to avoid any f* up with the others pkgs,
issue is it ask for "libdl.so.1" any idea what pkg provides this? thx in advance

I am trying the ff58 , not installed, I just unpacked the txz to avoid any f* up with the others pkgs,
What did you do exactly?
issue is it ask for "libdl.so.1" any idea what pkg provides this? thx in advance
That's strange: as far as I know libdl.so.1 is a very deprecated shared library dependency and shouldn't be supposed to reside in your system. Dynamic linking support is now provided in FreeBSD by FreeBSD C library (through libc.so.7), and GNU/Linux by glic/libc6 (with libdl.so.2). Accordingly, If you have the Linux compatibility layer enabled in FreeBSD you should find libdl.so.2 under /compat/linux/usr/lib*

SirDice please correct me if I'm wrong

to avoid any f* up with the others pkgs
Being afraid to do proper package updates is not a good sign. :(

What did you do exactly?

That's strange: as far as I know libdl.so.1 is a very deprecated shared library dependency and shouldn't be supposed to reside in your system. Dynamic linking support is now provided in FreeBSD by FreeBSD C library (through libc.so.7), and GNU/Linux by glic/libc6 (with libdl.so.2). Accordingly, If you have the Linux compatibility layer enabled in FreeBSD you should find libdl.so.2 under /compat/linux/usr/lib*

SirDice please correct me if I'm wrong
libdl.so.1 is provided (as a filter for libc.so.7) on 12.0-CURRENT to ease porting of applications that insist on linking with -ldl.

I unpacked (into a different folder that /usr/) the firefox 58 from

https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:12:amd64/latest/All/

then I am getting this while trying to execute it

Code:
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/home/chris/ff58/usr/local/lib/firefox/libxul.so:
Shared object "libdl.so.1" not found, required by "libxul.so"
Couldn't load XPCOM.
If you're actually running 12.0-CURRENT then it's either 6 months out of date or you're building it with lld (in both cases libdl.so.1 is not provided). I suggest you update your system or build your own Firefox package.

On top of all this good advice I think you should know that to use txz files you would also need all the dependencies txz files as well.
I assume you are using pkg add.
Looking here there are 13 runtime and 35 library dependencies.
https://www.freshports.org/www/firefox/

On top of that some of these dependencies will have dependencies of their own dragging in even more.

Last edited:
Being afraid to do proper package updates is not a good sign. :(

I am running TrueOS 12-unstable, so I can't mix ports from FreeBSD,
anyway, the FF package on TrueOS is still the 57.0.1 (the outdated version that lacks the fixes of Meltdown and Spectre) , I can run the FF 57.0.4 (unpacked txz) anyway, but looks like the FF 58 uses some different libs

If you're actually running 12.0-CURRENT then it's either 6 months out of date or you're building it with lld (in both cases libdl.so.1 is not provided). I suggest you update your system or build your own Firefox package.

I am running CURRENT, had this same problem with vim today, svn update of /usr/src and rebuilding fixed it.

Thanks for the help!

As far as I can see, I have neither asked a question nor requested support here.

Like many people, I try an internet search of error messages when I attempt to troubleshoot, and the forum is quite often a repository of usable fixes. This thread shows up well ahead of either the bugtracker:

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=226200

or the mailing list when looking up the "Shared object "libdl.so.1" not found" error. Someone else might also find tobik's solution usable, saving an enquiry.

Like many people, I try an internet search of error messages when I attempt to troubleshoot, and the forum is quite often a repository of usable fixes.
Which is why I posted it. Not many people realize what running -CURRENT really means.

Back