Solved Firefox 57.0.4 No Sound

I believe I have my sound setup correctly; VLC works correctly at least. I have added media.cubeb.backend and set it to alsa. I have tried the fix suggested by Luca69 in this thread https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/53184/ to no avail, and I have tried copying asound.conf.sample to asound.conf as recommended in another thread. I'm really not sure what do try next. Any help would be appreciated.

GRXvfst.png

VLC is a bad indicator to know if your sound is setup correctly, since it can autodetect what's needed.
A good indicator is a 'stupid' audioplayer' like mpg321 or something like cat /dev/random > /dev/dspX.X,
depending on the device you wish to use from the output of cat /dev/sndstat.

So long story short: You should first try to get sound on the commandline before you think about applications running on Xorg.

It looks like you are using ALSA, is that true?
When you ask about stuff where you changed the FreeBSD defaults to something else, you should provide more information
about what you changed and why.
Otherwise it will be hard for others to help you, or even understand what you are trying to archiv.

I get sound from terminal when I cat /dev/random > /dev/dsp5.0
I also get sound when I use speaker-test -Dplug:surround51 -c4 -twav

Interestingly, I just installed (manually) the 57.0.4 on TrueOS (as their repo still has the 57.0.1)
and there is this message, hope that may help you
To select non-default audio backend open about:config page and create
media.cubeb.backend preference. Supported values are: alsa, jack,
pulse, pulse-rust, oss, sndio. Currently used backend can be inspected
on about:support page.

I changed media.cubeb.backend from alsa to oss and it is now working just fine. I didn't realize that oss was the standard audio system for FreeBSD.

Edit: I was getting some bad audio lag in videos so I changed it to pulse and it's working perfectly.

just in case anybody else runs into this:

• firefox won't play audio in some videos
  • seems it selects opus audio streams that it then can't decode
  • "fix" for me was to recompile firefox port locally enabling jack & sndio output only
  • toggle media.cubeb.backend="sndio" as mentioned already
  • notice that a different opus stream is downloaded

The original opus stream is still unplayable, so it's possible there's a simpler way to address this issue elsewhere in firefox without recompiling the port with sndio support.

Also, adding sndio support by default would be nice, its a 230KiB dependency which for a 200MiB port is irrelevant

I set media.cubeb.backend to sndio in about:config as it says in /usr/ports/www/firefox/pkg-message, and it still shows alsa in config:support.

I haven't had Firefox's sound not work in a while, and this time I used only packages after I removed all options and traces of ports and packages, so no one tell me about mixing ports and packages. It didn't work then, and it still doesn't work. I tried this suggestion months ago. All other sound works.

Code:
Media
Audio Backend    alsa
Max Channels    0
Preferred Sample Rate    44100
It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Back