Finding and using the correct program(s)

Hello All.
I have a question, I am running FreeBSD and I have KDE, XFCE, and Fluxbox installed.

I run fluxbox 99% of the time and I was just putting together my menu file when I realized that I had to log off and into KDE to see what programs were available to me.

( Eventually, I will just install FreeBSD and fluxbox and get the programs I want manually, however, since I am pretty new to FreeBSD I wanted to explore my options, see which windows manager I felt comfortable with, which file manager, programs etc. I use Dolphin right now but I am looking for something a lot more simplistic and light weight. )

I am sure there is a way that I can find which programs are available. Also, it seems most all my KDE programs are accessible threw fluxbox but I can't seem to use any of my XFCE programs like Thunar etc. Why is this?

Also, I have a PDF reader on my system but I can never remember what its called, say for example I want to launch it from command line how can I find the program (from command) that will read the pdf?

Thanks a lot

fiftyone said:
I run fluxbox 99% of the time and I was just putting together my menu file when I realized that I had to log off and into KDE to see what programs were available to me.

You can list the KDE4-programs:
Code:
% ls /usr/local/kde4/bin

fiftyone said:
Also, I have a PDF reader on my system but I can never remember what its called, say for example I want to launch it from command line how can I find the program (from command) that will read the pdf?

Maybe
Code:
% man -k pdf | grep viewer
will help?

fiftyone said:
I can't seem to use any of my XFCE programs like Thunar etc.
That's weird. You're sure they're (well) installed and are working under Xfce? Because I can use Thunar at any time under fvwm.

fiftyone said:
Also, I have a PDF reader on my system but I can never remember what its called
If it has "pdf" in its name, try % ls /usr/local/bin/*pdf*.
Maybe it's graphics/epdfview or graphics/xpdf or graphics/evince?

fiftyone said:
say for example I want to launch it from command line
Why not just add it to Fluxbox's root menu when you find out what it's called? ;)

Back