File data transfer of FreeBSD faster than Linux !

Hello,

I noticed the faster data transfert of FreeBSD faster than Linux, by means of SSH (scp).
A data cdrom (ISO) or anything goes much faster ! scp gives clearly faster for freebsd (20 to 40pct faster).

- Server machine: Raspberry. SDCard with Linux, SDCard with FreeBSD, same server, same everything except OS (Linux and FreeBSD). The ISO data on server is on SDCard.
Same pc/rpi server, same cables, same files.
- Client: remained the same for the testing.
- Summary: Only the SD card on server was changed to make the test perfectly comparable!

Is there anything to do with SCP of freebsd or it could be other reasons?

Last edited:
Hello,

I noticed the faster data transfert of FreeBSD faster than Linux, by means of SSH (scp).
A data cdrom (ISO) or anything goes much faster ! scp gives clearly faster for freebsd (20 to 40pct faster).

same pc/rpi server, same cables, same files.

Is there anything to do with SCP of freebsd or it could be other reasons?

Are you using ZFS?

I actually use on FreeBSD a USB portable harddisk, made with newfs for UFS2. It runs very well (machine: RPI3b).

I notice the above post above linux vs freebsd. Interesting... no idea if it comes from tuneing.

Before I take an educated guess whether the cause is the network stack, the tcp implementation, or the file system, we need a lot more detail about what the actual experiment was.

When the server is the same, the server file system is an invariant here. So - no. ZFS on the rpi should not matter.

Before I take an educated guess whether the cause is the network stack, the tcp implementation, or the file system, we need a lot more detail about what the actual experiment was.
You're right. I'm agreed with you.

Server machine: Raspberry. SDCard with Linux, SDCard with FreeBSD, same server, same everything except OS (Linux and FreeBSD). The ISO data on server is on SDCard.
Same pc/rpi server, same cables, same files.
Exact same brand / model of SD card? There is a huge variation in SD/SDHC/SDXC speeds, particularly with the older / lower capacity cards.

Back