Favorite VNC for FreeBSD?

Just looking for any suggestions of remote desktop programs you're happy with on FreeBSD. There are a bunch and I'm not familiar with them.

This is for a home setup so all ethernet and behind a firewall.

I think TigerVNC has the most features. Last time I checked it used LLVMpipe for software rendering which achieves better performance than the software rendering provided by TightVNC.

Since it is for a home setup, you might not need multi-sessions, in that case x11vnc uses your actual desktop (and thus GPU) so may achieve fastest results.

My procedure for connecting from FreeBSD to Windows (RDP)

rdesktop for GUI (remote desktop), e.g.,
rdesktop -g 1024x768 -u user 192.168.x.x

ssh for CLI, e.g.,
ssh user@192.168.x.x

scp to copy files and folders, back and forth, e.g.,
scp -r user@192.168.x.x:C\:\\folder .
scp file user@192.168.x.x:C\:\\folder

I like net/rdesktop, because:
pkg info -do rdesktop
Code:
rdesktop-1.8.6
Origin         : net/rdesktop
Depends on     :
    libXrandr-1.5.2
    libX11-1.6.9_1,1

Tightvnc expires at the end of March. FreeBSD, as some users claimed to have outdated pkgs, will have barely any functional vnc(-server) port. Yes, there is Vino, TigerVNC, (and other?), but do they really work as servers? TigerVNC-server on MSWin work though. TightVNC will also remain active on MSWin after expiration here like vncserver, which have been reused into several commercial products on MS.

TigerVNC, (and other?), but do they really work as servers?
TigerVNC Server is probably the fastest VNC offering at the moment. It provides Xvnc and vncserver. Likewise, the TigerVNC client is also one of the fastest.

Whilst it is always good to have different options, it does tend to be superior to TightVNC.

My slight concern with traditional VNC servers is that they are very complex. Often mashing core parts of Xorg in there which is a massively complex project in its own right. This does lead to difficulty maintaining them.

+1 for TigerVNC. Have been using it for years as it offers the widest compatibility with even "special" VNC implementations I've encountered e.g. on some old KVM instances or BMC/IPMI variants.

If you are looking for some form of "remote desktop" solution (i.e. not only for setup/maintenance purposes): Just use X-forwarding or have a look at something like x11/xmx.

If there are windows boxes involved I'd go for deskutils/anydesk. We've been using it at work for ~3 years now and if you have to connect to windows clients on a regular basis, this is far more convenient as it offers e.g. shared buffers or file transfers. RDP is also 'OK-ish' and KRDC works quite nice, but RDP comes with all the stupidities and artificial restrictions like e.g. the remote side goes dark (logs out) when connecting and you can't really keep a session open and share/access it remotely (b/c windows still isn't a real multi-user system by choice...). There are patches that allow multiple concurring RDP-sessions, but this is completely unsupported and brings a lot of other problems - plus it always opens a new session (even for the same user) on reconnect, so it's also worthless...

Back