Solved Failing to edit man page

I seem to remember this working in the mid 2000's, the last time I tried it, but I'm not sure what I've done wrong or left out.

The dwl window manager is the Wayland equivalent of dwm. The dwl man page doesn't include the default mouse bindings, so I thought I'd add them.
The way I did this was to open the dwl.1 man page in vi. This shows all the troff formatting. I then opened the dwm man page in vi and added into the dwl page
Code:
.SS Mouse commands
.TP.B Mod1\-Button1
Move focused window while dragging. Tiled windows will be toggled to the floating state.
(that's just the first entry).
In the dwm man page it looks like
Code:
Mouse commands      
Mod1-Button1             
Move focused window while dragging. Tiled windows will be 
toggled to the floating state.
However, after adding this to the dwl man page, I get
Code:
These might differ depending on your keyboard layout.  Move focused   window while dragging. Tiled windows will be toggled to the floating   state.
That "These might differ depending on your keyboard layout.", is the man page's preceding sentence. In other words, it doesn't show the
Mouse commands Mod1-Button1 stuff.

I'm assuming my memory is faulty about just using vi and including the troff formatting stuff, but some web searching isn't showing me what I left out. I'd appreciate any input <oooh, bad pun>

Code:
These might differ depending on your keyboard layout.
.Sh Mouse command
.Bl -tag -width 20n -offset indent -compact
.It Mod1-Button1
Move focused window while dragging. Tiled windows will be toggled to the floatin
g state.
.Sh ENVIRONMENT

Yes, that was it. Thanks. Now I just have to do the other mouse bindings in that fashion and hopefully, in a day or so, or maybe even today, the dwl man page will show mouse bindings--and it's thanks to you.

Back