Failed to load nvidia

I installed nvidia-driver (without linux support), nvidia-xconfig and nvidia-settings. Nvidia-driver wants kernel sources and I copied src from CD to /usr/src/. But I do not build kernel. I make xorg.conf with nvidia-xconfig. xorg.conf. But when I try to start x server and I have
Code:
failed to load nvidia module
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old | grep EE .

nvidia module is loaded
Code:
$ kldstat -v |fgrep nvidia
		427 hostb/agp_nvidia
		90 pci/ata_nvidia
 2    1 0xc129f000 ad991c   nvidia.ko (/boot/modules/nvidia.ko)
		 1 vgapci/nvidia
Code:
$ cat /boot/loader.conf 
nvidia_load="YES"

Make sure the kernel sources are the same version as the kernel you have running.

I get sources from CD from which I installed the system. Kernel version 9.0-RELEASE in sources and installed in system.

That should be supported by the driver you have installed.

Did you set a securelevel?

bbzz said:
Try generating xorg.conf using method explained in handbook.
Xorg -configure? With this config on nv driver work correctly, but if I replace Driver "nv" with Driver "nvidia" start failed.

The xorg.conf is fine, no problems there.

Try unloading the nvidia kernel module and load it again. Look at /var/log/messages. Anything in there that might give a clue?

I make
Code:
kldunload nvidia
kldload nvidia
and when i try start x computer have been rebooted like if i press reset button.

But when I insert my old video card nvidia 6600 X started correct.

In linux I have problem with this Geforce 210, maybe it was IRQ conflict. but linux didn't start with any driver non only nvidia. But in windows new card works fine.

Run a $ tail -f /var/log/messages then # kldload nvidia Look for messages that are added. I'm wondering how your card is detected, if it's detected at all.

SirDice said:
Run a $ tail -f /var/log/messages then # kldload nvidia Look for messages that are added.
Code:
Feb  7 20:26:10 desktop kernel: nvidia0: <GeForce 210> on vgapci0
Feb  7 20:26:10 desktop kernel: vgapci0: child nvidia0 requested pci_enable_io
Feb  7 20:26:10 desktop kernel: vgapci0: child nvidia0 requested pci_enable_io

Ok, the driver loads and detects your card. I'm assuming /dev/nvidia0 and /dev/nvidiactl also exists?

Code:
root@williscorto:~#ll /dev/nvidia*
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,  34 Feb  5 16:56 /dev/nvidia0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,  35 Feb  5 16:56 /dev/nvidiactl

Did you enable a securelevel in /etc/rc.conf? If so, remove them and reboot.

No, I did not enable securelevel. I think it is a hardware problem, because another video card works with this settings.

Back