Failed to install on an ASUS Mini

I've purchased it without an OS with the aim of installing FreeBSD and learning some programming for it.

Relevant info:
Model PN41-BBC154MV
CPU Celeron N4500
Ethernet Realtek 2.5G

Here's an image:

During the installation it didn't let me configure the network interface so I installed it without that. I only managed to install it after several attempts because the thing restarted unexpectedly. And now it restarts after a few minutes of working. I tried 14.1 then 13.3 with the same result.

What can be the reason of and what can be done about that?

At this point I would try a Linux live USB stick just to see whether it's hardware that triggers the reboots.

At this point I would try a Linux live USB stick just to see whether it's hardware that triggers the reboots.

Thanks for responding. It took me a while but I've prepared the stick and it looks like it's working.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
user@debian:~$

P.S.
I beg pardon for giving inaccurate information in my first message. Mine looks a little different to that in the picture - the left socket (audio ?) is missing in mine. And the P/N on my package is different - PN41-BBC080MC.

The 2.5Gbit Realtek ethernet does indeed not work with the base OS. But you should still be able to install and use the base OS without any weird crashes. The 2.5Gbit Realtek is reported to work if you can install net/realtek-re-kmod.

But you should still be able to install and use the base OS without any weird crashes.

I would be very much obliged if someone would give me a help with this.

It looks like the two problems are not connected. Even when I disable the network interface in the BIOS, it still reboots in a minute or two. In the interval this command from the handbook reports nothing:

% pciconf -lv | grep -A1 -B3 network

i had kind of similar problems when using a bad/weak power supply (on an intel 'compute stick')
it bombed just after it loaded the kernel of or several seconds after
probably not the case here because i was trying various phone chargers (usb-c) i did not have the original power brick

Maybe some bad memory? The Debian stick appears to work, does it include a memory checker like memtest86? Or get their bootable stick and use it to test the memory.

FreeBSD plays fine with USB->ethernet adapters. If the built-in ethernet outlet happens to be something that FreeBSD is not getting along with (which is pretty astonishing), I think that any no-name USB->ethernet adapter would work fine. That saved me a few times when i tried to install FreeBSD on a laptop that did not have built-in ethernet.

Looks like it is the hardware after all.

When I had reconciled myself to the need to overcome my aversion to penguins and started an actual installation of Debian it failed in the same way as FreeBSD.

The problem is being talked over with the seller.

Back