Solved Failed to execute login command after latest upgrade

After latest pkg upgrade and upgrading all apps as well, can't login to X anymore. Just says "Failed to execute login command" and falls back to login manager each time. startx as root works and launches xterm, but I'm unable launch the default xfce4.
FreeBSD is installed as VirtualBox guest. Anybody else can test?

Guessing by the error you're using SLiM?

Use something like this in ~/.xinitrc:
Code:
DEFAULTWM= awesome

[ -f "$HOME/.Xresources" ] && xrdb "$HOME/.Xresources"

if [ -n "$1" ]; then
        case $1 in
                default) exec ${DEFAULTVM}
                         ;;
                *) exec "$@"
                         ;;
        esac
else
        exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session urxvt
fi

If you don't select an environment with F1 SLiM passes the text 'default' as an argument to the start scripts. If you do select one using F1 it'll pass the information from the appropriate *.desktop file in /usr/local/share/xsessions/.

This seems to be a bit more complicated than that. You see, I have this also (or more precisely, Kid #3).
After the upgrade, slim does not allow him to log in. Going to the console and typing "startx" eventually starts twm, after a minute or so of timeouts. We both have .xinitrc in $HOME, it is even the same file. I can log in with no problems, he can't. Still searching.

Just as a side note: If I recall correctly SLiM hasn't been updated/maintained since 2013-ish. This does not mean that it's a no-go to use it. Just something to keep in mind.

Mystery solved. The issue was caused due to insufficient space when upgrading pkg from 1.18.4 to 1.19.0. Now repeated and everything is fine.

Update: i removed a .xsm-something file from his account, now startx starts windowmaker as it should.

Ok.found it. Somehow his home was not owned by him. But everything inside was. Fixed that, all is well now.

Back