ezjail.flavour.example script will not install packages

First of all, I am new to FreeBSD and only play around with Linux a little in the past so please bear with me if I ask something stupid.

I am trying to learn how to uses ezjail and flavors. Right now I am trying to get the ezjail.flavour.example script to install some packages (e.g. sudo) when a jail is first started. In the “Postinstall” section of the example script there is:

# pkg_add -r pico

This I am assuming is to install package pico. However, it is my understanding that pkg_add has been replaced with pkg install. I have tried adding both lines to the script to install sudo and other packages with no luck.

pkg_add -r sudo
and
pkg install sudo

I have also tried adding the line to building pkg from a port first, this get pkg install but no sudo.

Code:
cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg/ && make install clean
pkg install sudo

I have also tried adding a line to bootstrap pkg but never got that to work.

How do I get the ezjail.flavour.example script to install package when the jail is first started?

On a side question I can’t get the script to install sudo from ports.

cd /usr/ports/security/sudo/ && make install clean
That is adding the above line does not seem to work, however I can get this method to work for other ports. Does anyone know why this maybe?

The pkg_add(8) tools have been deprecated a long time ago.

And "It doesn't work" doesn't tell us much. What are the errors?

When I create or start a jail for the first time that was based on a flavor that includes this script no errors are printed on the terminal. Is there a log I could look at to get more info?

Basically what I am asking is how do I edit the /usr/jails/flavours/example/etc/rc.d/ezjail.flavour.example script so that when a jail is created based on a flavor that includes this script it will have packages pre-installed?

To install the latest phpmyadmin on jail creation, you can do something like this:

Code:
LOGFILE=/tmp/installlog
echo '##start ezjail.flavour!##' >> $LOGFILE 2>&1
cd /usr/ports/databases/phpmyadmin && make -DBATCH install clean >> $LOGFILE 2>&1

after it runs, you can have a look into /tmp/installlog to see what happend.

Back