jails ezjail-admin archive (does it have special code in it's tar process) ?

Hey Geniuses,

I am wondering if anyone knows if ezjail-admin's archive feature that tar.gz's /usr/jails/[ezjailname] does more than just tar.gz it?

I am having difficulties archiving and restoring without pax errors (part 2, etc) which are beyond 2GB (I don't have an ezjail-admin archive in between 1.7GB and 14GB).

My 1.7GB restores perfectly, no errors. My 14GB ezjail jail starts to restore and then kicks me strange pax errors with prompts for me directing it to another part or something.

I then thought the solution could be:

a) create a bash script to backup all my apache sites (that are making the image as large as it is). I am now pushing 32GB in it's data folder (with expectations of exponential growth in the future) and offload this way.

b) find a way to tar.gz manually and exclude the apache data site so that I can somehow use ezjail-admin to archive it, attempt restore it (get the error; so it at least pulls in the ezjail-admin configuration); then

c) manually extract the tar.gz's (with data and without). without first (to get the jail running good) and then a second extract to upload all the sites at once with configurations.

Unless there is a way to exclude the apache directory in the ezjail-admin archive syntax?

My filesystem(s) are ZFS; using FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE on my local development server I just recently setup from advice of fellow members of our community.

Thank you for any answers or suggestions!

Best Regards,

~ TruthSword

Back