eza command

sysutils/eza, can't find it. Can't find a reason why it's not there either. It's not failing, it's not ignored, it's not skipped. I'm sure it'll popup again with the next build runs.

It is there in the ports, but after 3 hours of compilation it came out with an error "Error code 1"

It is there in the ports, but after 3 hours of compilation it came out with an error "Error code 1"
That's just a generic error code, it typically means one of its dependencies failed. Look further back to see what exactly failed. It doesn't have a lot of dependencies though, only lang/rust and devel/pkgconf. Rust might be failing to build on your system, it requires quite a bit of resources. Install those dependencies as packages, make install-missing-packages is useful.

this is what it gives me:
Code:
cd /usr/ports/sysutils/eza  
# make
===>   eza-0.17.0 depends on executable: pandoc - not found
===>   hs-pandoc-3.1.8_1 depends on executable: ghc - not found
===>   ghc-9.4.7 depends on file: /usr/local/lib/libgmp.so - found
===>   ghc-9.4.7 depends on executable: sphinx-build - not found
===>  Staging for py39-sphinx-5.3.0_1,1
===>   py39-sphinx-5.3.0_1,1 depends on package: py39-sphinxcontrib-applehelp>=0 - not found
===>   py39-sphinx-5.3.0_1,1 depends on package: py39-sphinxcontrib-applehelp>=0 - not found
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[6]: stopped in /usr/ports/textproc/py-sphinx
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[5]: stopped in /usr/ports/lang/ghc
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[4]: stopped in /usr/ports/lang/ghc
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[3]: stopped in /usr/ports/textproc/hs-pandoc
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/textproc/hs-pandoc
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/sysutils/eza
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/sysutils/eza
[root@fbsd-sstan /usr/ports/sysutils/eza]#

+1 for make install-missing-packages...
Or, if you want the dependencies installed as automatic, you can try pkg install -A `make missing`.

[root@fbsd-sstan /home/sstan74]# pkg install eza
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'eza' have been found in the repositories

[root@fbsd-sstan /home/sstan74]# pkg install eza
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'eza' have been found in the repositories
You are most probably on quaterly packages branch... there is no package for sysutils/eza, it only exists in latest...
so you have to either
- switch to latest packages branch
or
- compile the port after make install-missing-packages

Install those dependencies as packages, make install-missing-packages is useful.
While being really useful it's also a little bit excessive, because it installs not only the build dependencies but also the run dependencies. That's totally fine if your build environment is also your run environment, but for separated environments it can make a difference in GBs of downloaded packages. My non-optimal solution is to get the list of build dependencies via make build-depends-list and then install the listed dependencies manually (the list consists of the port's directory names which don't always correspond to actual package names, so piping the list into pkg install is not always possible). A better solution would be a install-missing-build-packages target. Maybe I can have a look at it.

While being really useful it's also a little bit excessive, because it installs not only the build dependencies but also the run dependencies. That's totally fine if your build environment is also your run environment, but for separated environments it can make a difference in GBs of downloaded packages. My non-optimal solution is to get the list of build dependencies via make build-depends-list and then install the listed dependencies manually (the list consists of the port's directory names which don't always correspond to actual package names, so piping the list into pkg install is not always possible). A better solution would be a install-missing-build-packages target. Maybe I can have a look at it.
Why'd you want to compile the run dependencies?

Why'd you want to compile the run dependencies?
I wouldn't want to ;). It's exactly for this kind of usecase: compile one specific port without compiling the build and run dependencies, instead install the packages for those.

pkg install -A rust pkgconf it shouldn't require much more than that. Building devel/pkgconf pulls in a LOT of build dependencies. You don't need those.
That's probably the optimal solution for this topic. My idea of a install-missing-build-packages target is for general use.

I have found many quirks with SeaMonkey and using packages instead of ports for dependencies.

This I stole from somebody in some other post and it works the best for me.

make build-depends-list | cut -c 12- | xargs pkg install -A -y

I overread that part, sry O:‑)
No problem.

I have found many quirks with SeaMonkey and using packages instead of ports for dependencies.

This I stole from somebody in some other post and it works the best for me.

make build-depends-list | cut -c 12- | xargs pkg install -A -y
Thank you, I totally forgot the -c option of cut(1) and pkg-install(8) also accepting pkg origins, e.g. pkg install devel/sdl20 instead of pkg install sdl2. So install-missing-build-packages would essentially be your mentioned pipe.

Sorry for my bad english, but what are the steps to install eza without many dependencies. It doesn't install from ports. Pkg gives me this:

Sorry for my bad english, but what are the steps to install eza without many dependencies. It doesn't install from ports. Pkg gives me this:
The package is there, but only in latest (not in quarterly).
So maybe you wanna switch from quarterly packages to latest?

Back