Extending the shutdown time

If I wanted to extended the shutdown process time would I modify
Code:
kern.init_shutdown_timeout
from its default of 120, to say 300 for example? The goal would be allow programs more time to complete their shutdown process, before they could receive the TERM, and KILL signals from init(8).

So for this objective I could do this?
kern.init_shutdown_timeout=300

I'll play with this over the Christmas days (there are 12 of them you know. :) ) but is there any reason I should not do this?

I set rcshutdown_timeout="300" in /etc/rc.conf. I assume that just sets the sysctl that you mentioned.

*edit* No it doesn't. That's something else, as even with that set the sysctl you mentioned is 120. What's the difference then?

*edit2* OK. So it looks like that rc variable starts a watchdog timer which terminates the shutdown process if it's still running after that time. So that's different to what you wanted.

So for what you wanted, I would say yes, just set it in /etc/sysctl.conf. Shouldn't cause any issues I wouldn't have thought.

*edit3* Some info I just found on google: https://people.freebsd.org/~rse/work/shutdown-timeout.txt

I realize there are documents out there that state "kern.shutdown_timeout" was declared "unused" in 1999", but is that really true. If it is true then why does it even show up 20 years later?

Surely extending the shutdown sequence to 300 minutes should be easy peesy and well understood. It would be nice if there was more detail in Section 12.5 of the handbook.

I'll try to play around with this soon.

Back