Exports Configuration

I recently upgraded from 14.0 to 14.1 using src. My /etc/exports file is as folllows:

Code:
V4: /                                                                                               -network 192.168.1.0/24
/Users/a/rrsum           -alldirs        -mapall=rrsum:rrsum                -network 192.168.1.0/24
/Users/b/carolynk       -alldirs        -mapall=carolynk:carolynk       -network 192.168.1.0/24
/usr/local                     -alldirs        -mapall=rrsum:rrsum               -network 192.168.1.0/24
I'm getting these errors on the console when I boot and I don't remember getting them before the upgrade (although what they indicate might have been true):
Code:
mountd[1595]: Warning: exporting /Users/a/rrsum exports entire /Users/a file system
mountd[1595]: Warning: exporting /Users/b/carolynk exports entire /Users/b file system
mountd[1595]: Warning: exporting /usr/local exports entire /usr file system
Can someone explain what I have wrong and suggest a correction? I have read through the exports man page multiple times, but still am at a loss.

If it matters, /Users/a and /Users/b are zfs filesystems and /usr is UFS.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

~

Those warnings are true for the current setup.

It seems on 14.1 mountd(8) now alerts the user when entire file systems are exported.

Here, pool/a , pool/b , /usr represent the root of three different file systems. Exporting a sub-directory from a file systems root directory exposes the entire file system.

Can someone ... suggest a correction?

On ZFS, the exposure of pool/a , pool/b can be fixed easily by creating pool/a/rrsum and pool/b/carolynk datasets. This will set the root directory of the file system to the last child dataset ( /Users/a/rrsum and /Users/b/carolynk respectively).

As for /usr, that UFS root directory will be exposed always (NFSv3 and NFSv4), unless V4: /usr/local, but that would disable /User/*

One solution for /usr could be to transform UFS in ZFS, creating a pool/usr/local dataset, but that might not be an option here.

If no modifications are planed, the warnings can be silenced by setting the mountd(8) -A flag in rc.conf: mountd_flags="-r -S -A", see manual for details.

Anyone who suppresses the warnings should know what they are doing.

Thanks very much for the explanation - very helpful. I think I'll go the route of changing to zfs as you suggest.

Rick

Back