OpenBOX Exiting Openbox

Hi all --

I'm running into an odd problem with Openbox: on most of my systems, using the Openbox menu > 'Log out' drops me back to a terminal session. However, on one workstation this causes X to terminate -- i.e. I'm left with a black screen, and I typically either need to do a hard reset or ssh into the workstation and shutdown -r now.

The workstation is a Dell Precision Tower 5810 with an Nvidia Quadro K420
Code:
vgapci0@pci0:3:0:0:   class=0x030000 card=0x116210de chip=0x0ff310de rev=0xa1 hdr=0x00
   vendor     = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
   device     = 'GK107GL [Quadro K420]'
   class      = display
   subclass   = VGA

I'm running FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE, with the nvidia-driver and xorg-7.7_3
Code:
> uname -a
FreeBSD ditrestle 11.1-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p4 #0: Tue Nov 14 06:12:40 UTC 2017     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

> pkg info | grep xorg-7.7_3
xorg-7.7_3                     X.Org complete distribution metaport
> pkg info | grep nvidia        
nvidia-driver-384.59           NVidia graphics card binary drivers for hardware OpenGL rendering

I don't see anything interesting in the Xorg log:
Code:
> tail -n 10 Xorg.0.log.old
[   107.640] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0):
[   107.640] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DELL P2417H (DFP-2): connected                                                                                    
[   107.640] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DELL P2417H (DFP-2): Internal DisplayPort                                                                        
[   107.640] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DELL P2417H (DFP-2): 960.0 MHz maximum pixel clock                                                                
[   107.640] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0):                                                                                                                  
[   131.653] (II) config/devd: terminating backend...                                                                                              
[   131.654] (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"                                                                                                            
[   131.654] (II) UnloadModule: "kbd"                                                                                                              
[   132.048] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Deleting GPU-0                                                                                                    
[   132.070] (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

The main difference between this system and the others is that there seems to be a quirk with this Quadro card: I typically start my sessions with xinit /usr/local/bin/openbox-session but that caused problems with this workstation after an update (see https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/61860/). Based on the feedback there, I've switched to invoking startx, with the paths moved into ~/.xinitrc; i.e.:
Code:
xscreensaver -no-splash &
/usr/local/bin/openbox-session

Any suggestions for how to approach trouble-shooting this? It'd be nice to be able to drop back to a terminal without having to reboot the workstation.

Thanks in advance for your time and trouble.

Why not use for your /.xinitrc :
Code:
exec openbox-session
(with one line all by itself)

then, launch your xscreensaver separately?

EDIT: You could also add a compositor to help prevent screen degrading, shredding.
FreeBSD port available: x11-wm/compton

In addition, there is an openbox package called 'oblogout,' which allows a set
of logout commands available: restart, shutdown, etc.
Here are some sites that help describe 'oblogout':
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/oblogout
and https://launchpad.net/oblogout

Back