EU pkg mirror (bme0)

Whats up with this mirror. Seems unreachable and the alternatives NY and South Africa are not really a great option either.

I made the same experience with that mirror, which is why I switched to pkg0.isc.freebsd.org for the time being.

It's totally unreachable now;

Code:
--- pkg0.bme.freebsd.org ping statistics ---
106 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

--- pkg0.isc.freebsd.org ping statistics ---
102 packets transmitted, 102 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 164.632/175.731/277.719/23.305 ms

--- pkg0.nyi.freebsd.org ping statistics ---
101 packets transmitted, 101 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 77.470/87.701/183.182/14.820 ms

still no update?
I'm afraid no.
Code:
PING pkg0.bme.freebsd.org (213.138.116.73): 56 data bytes
92 bytes from 213.138.116.46: Destination Host Unreachable
But even when it was reachable, I got low and inconsistent download speeds from that particular mirror server.
Maybe they took it down to fix it? :rolleyes:

I have contacted the company that hosts the mirror (Bytemark) and they said they will look into it.

I'll keep you posted about the progres

Btw I got an update:

Thank you for reporting this issue, looking at the routing it appears to be correctly hitting one of their devices before getting stuck.
I'm afraid that whilst we provide these machines to the FreeBSD Project we don't manage them.

I will contact them and inform them there's an issue.

Thanks,

Mark Egan-Fuller
Bytemark Platform Team

Final response:

Mark Egan-Fuller

Staff - 02/04/2020 4:40 PM
Hi Matthias,

We've had a response from FreeBSD:

* The mirror was turned off as it was having technical issues
* People should not be using this mirror directly and should instead
be using the GeoDNS routing provided by pkg.freebsd.org.
* It is currently back online but it may be turned off again at any moment.
* Direct connections to this mirror are not supported at this time.

Regards,

So this sheds some light. Would be great to have a status site where we can check for such issues instead of keep left in the dark

This would explain why this morning when i ran pkg upgrade it took several minutes to download files rather than several seconds if they've switched it back on again? Is it still in the DNS pool?

this has nothing to do with pkg networking issue, you can just browse this site manually and download, its painfully slow (from sweden). This server needs to get fixed

Ports and packages have nothing to do with the FreeBSD version. All versions of FreeBSD use the exact same ports tree.

ok ... since I do daily updates and did not get the new pkg version I exaggerated that new pkg versions might land in -current before with some kind of build flag.

Back