Ethernet collision backoff time

A

Anonymous

Does anybody know where I would have to go to change the ethernet collision backoff time from being a random amount of time and instead always be something like 1 millisecond . I need to do this because I share a wireless network with about 10 people who constantly stream stuff and have worms that do stuff like spam the network with ARP requests. Actually now that I think about it the AP probably handles media contention in 802.11, maybe I'm wrong though.

On any shared medium if you reduce the backoff time to a static 1msec no one will be able to use the medium.

i.e

User 1: Makes request @ Time 0
User 2: Makes request @ Time 0
User 3: Makes request @ Time 0 [All 3 collide]

User 1: Makes request @ Time 0 + 1msec
User 2: Makes request @ Time 0 + 1msec
User 3: Makes request @ Time 0 + 1msec [Again: All 3 collide]

I mean just the backoff time on my system would be set to 1 msec. The rest would still be random. So when a collision happens my computer will always be the first to get to use the medium again.

mharvey87 said:
I mean just the backoff time on my system would be set to 1 msec. The rest would still be random. So when a collision happens my computer will always be the first to get to use the medium again.

I really believe in this case the better idea would be to purchase another access point for the network and use it for your own private usage... Keep is stupidly simple.

Heh, setting a static timer isn't gonna change anything, you will still collide most of the time. (do the maths)

Back