PF /etc/pf.conf in FreeBSD 11

I have a fresh installation of FreeBSD 11 and am attempting to setup pf. The FreeBSD Handbook as well as /etc/default/rc.conf states that the default configuration file for pf.conf is located at /etc/pf.conf but it was not included in the image that I installed FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso. Should I be using another image or is there somewhere else that I can obtain the default configuration file?

Should I be using another image or is there somewhere else that I can obtain the default configuration file?
There is no default configuration file. /etc/pf.conf normally contains the actual firewall rules, and that's something you need to set up yourself. As you probably know the FreeBSD handbook has a whole section which explains how to set up the rulesets.

Thanks! I usually hack the default config/ruleset of an application to learn it. In this case I'll just use the Handbook to write the file from scratch.

I usually hack the default config/ruleset of an application to learn it.
The default rule set (no rules at all) is to allow everything. A fairly basic ruleset:
Code:
ext_if="igb0"
int_if="igb1"

set skip on lo0

nat on $ext_if from $int_if:network to any -> ($ext_if)

block in on $ext_if
pass out on $ext_if from { $int_if:network, $ext_if } to any

pass in on $int_if from $int_if:network to any

Back