/etc/aliases not working as expected

I have a problem that seems to be particular to my arm systems, it may not be just arm and I may (probably) have stuffed up but I have other FreeBSD systems that I've setup without issue.

my hostname is beaglebone
in postfix i have
Code:
myhostname = beaglebone.dodgydivetours.org
mydomain = dodgydivetours.org
myorigin = dodgydivetours.org

in /etc/resolv.conf
Code:
search dodgydiverours.org

I have added an entry in /etc/aliases
Code:
root:    andrew@anotherdomain.com

however any emails to root go to andrew@dodgydivetours.org

previously, on another installation, in postfix the domain was mydomain.com and emails to root went to andrew@mydomain.com despite having
Code:
root: andrew@anotherdomain.com
in the aliases file.

I have other FreeBSD systems, amd64, that seem to work this out ok, however it is also possible I've made a configuration error in main.cf

sure I can work around it, however any clues to what I have stuffed up would be nice

thanks in advance
andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah I did. after further testing. it appears that no matter what i put in /etc/aliases, it will send to andrew@whateverdomain is in postfix main.cf as myorigin
which probably means i've done it wrong

• Thanks
Reactions: pez
alias_maps isn't defined
virtual_alias_maps isn't even in my main.cf
newaliases_path = /usr/local/bin/newaliases

I didn't change local_recipients_maps

alias_maps isn't defined
I think that could be an issue, but I am not sure because I don't have hands on experience with Arm devices. Thing is:

Code:
# The alias_maps parameter specifies the list of alias databases used
# by the local delivery agent. The default list is system dependent.
So if /etc/aliases doesn't work and # postalias /etc/aliases nor # newalises had any effect then I cannot help wonder if Postfix maybe doesn't consider this to be a default.

Either way, it won't hurt. So I'd suggest to define alias_maps in your main.cf to see what happens next (don't forget to reload or restart Postfix).

• Thanks
Reactions: pez
well I was about to try that, but first I thought I'd do some more thorough testing, as it seemed /etc/aliases was being used only for the local username and ignoring the domain.

only now it is working as intended. so I don't know if it was actually broken or I was trying too many different things at once.

thankyou people for taking the time to respond, I apppreciate it
regards
pez

Back