Error on kdeadmin on installing KDE; get KDE to start with startx and exit

I have been having a lot of trouble getting the KDE desktop environment working on FreeBSD 10.1. When I entered make install clean while in /usr/ports/x11/kde4 I got an error saying that I need to upgrade kdeadmin. I tried using portsnap but it still did not work. I found Thread need-to-upgrade-to-kdeadmin-4-12-5.47009 where someone said that make deinstall and make reinstall solved part of the problem but that did nothing for me. When I entered make deinstall it said that "kde not installed, skipping". When I entered make reinstall I got the same error again about kdeadmin.

After more searching I found a website at http://www.unixmen.com/install-kde-in-freebsd-9x/ which says to enter some things in /etc/rc.conf. I did that and now when the computer boots up it starts up the X window system with KDE. What I would prefer is for it to start in the command line and then I would enter startx to start the X window system. After installing the X window system but before entering that stuff in /etc/rc.conf, when I entered startx, it opened a graphical interface with three terminal windows and an analog clock. I could not type anything or move the mouse in this environment and the only thing I could do was reboot with Ctrl+Alt+Del. Now, when I type startx from the command line, I get the same environment and I can move the mouse and type things into the terminal windows.

One thing I find confusing is how the computer is able to start the X window system with KDE even though I was not able to install KDE. I wonder if I have only an incomplete version of KDE. In addition, I would like to be able to close the X window system and go back to the command line. I found this thread https://pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=9458 which says that I can push Ctrl+Alt+F1 to go back to the command line but KDE is still running in the background. Someone said to turn the "on" to "off" in the /etc/ttys for the tty that it runs on and it won't start up when the computer boots anymore, but when I checked this file, it says,
Code:
ttyv8    "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"    xterm    off    secure"
and it still starts the X window system upon booting. Someone else said Ctrl+Alt+Backspace kills X, but actlthat didn't do anything for me. That forum is for PC-BSD and I am running FreeBSD, so it might not be exactly the same, but there doesn't seem to be an exit button in KDE. How can I completely close KDE/X window system and not have it remain idle in ttyv8?

I had FreeBSD 4.6 with KDE on a computer I used from 2002-2008 and I was able to start the X window system with KDE by typing startx on the command line and I am pretty sure there was an exit button in KDE. I also removed some of the stuff from /etc/rc.conf that unixmen.com said I should enter and KDE still starts up when the computer boots up. Also, when I am in KDE it seems that a lot of things are broken. When I enter a URL In Konqueror, it says the URL is improperly formated. There are icons with an "X" on a red background in the bottom tray and when I move my mouse over them, it said it was unable to load the widget. I don't know, but I suspect that this is a consequence of KDE not installing all the way.

In short my questions are:
1. How do I set the computer not to start KDE upon booting up and instead start KDE when I enter startx?
2. How do I complete the installation of KDE?
3. How do I exit KDE?

Hi,
How do I set the computer not to start KDE upon booting up and instead start KDE when I enter startx
You have to remove or comment kdm4_enable="YES" in your /etc/rc.conf. Do not forget to change your .xinitrc to make X start KDE.
How do I complete the installation of KDE?
What is the result of pkg info x11/kde4 and pkg check -d. By the way, what are the special needs that make you use ports instead of binaries ?
How do I exit KDE?
You just have to logout (if you have commented or removed kdm4_enable="YES").

When I type pkg info x11/kde4 it says:
Code:
pkg: No package(s) matching x11/kde4
I installed from a port instead of using pkg install x11/kde4 because it wouldn't work the first time I tried that command. Right now when I tried it, it said:
Code:
Updating FreeBSD repository catalog...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
The most recent version of packages are already installed.
I edited /root/.xinitrc with exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde (like it said in the online manual) and rebooted and logged back in as root. When I typed startx I got some errors and KDE would not start, and one of the errors said:
Code:
exec: /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde: not found
The result of pkg check -d is:
Code:
Checking all packages: 100%

I changed /root/.xinitrc to exec /usr/local/bin/startkde and now startx worked. Is this a bug with FreeBSD or an error in the online manual? I still can't help but wonder if my installation of KDE is incomplete because it stopped at kdeadmin and there are still red "X" icons in my desktop tray.

The documentation just didn't catch up with the change in ports. The pkg check -d showed that there are no dependency issues so I'm not sure about the issues with icons.

Hi,
I installed from a port instead of using pkg install x11/kde4 because it wouldn't work the first time I tried that command. Right now when I tried it

You should choose between using ports or already built packages. I think if you start to mix between the two, you will run into troubles.

What you can try, if you still intend to use ports, is to install ports-mgmt/portmaster (portmaster(8)) and issue the following command portmaster -f x11/kde4.

I tried portmaster -f x11/kde4 but still got the error about kdeadmin needing to be updated when I tried to make install clean under /usr/ports/x11/kde4.

I tried portmaster -f x11/kde4 but still got the error about kdeadmin needing to be updated when I tried to make install clean under /usr/ports/x11/kde4
I do not follow, you used make install clean or portmaster -f x11/kde4 ?
By the way, if you are struggling with a fresh install, you could may be just start over with a new install. Another solution is detailed in portmaster(8), in the example section (see Using portmaster to do a complete reinstallation of all your ports).

First, I tried portmaster -f x11/kde4 and then I went to /usr/ports/x11/kde4 and tried make install clean.

I tried portmaster -f x11/kde4 but still got the error about kdeadmin needing to be updated when I tried to make install clean under /usr/ports/x11/kde4
With ports-mgmt/portmaster there is no need to use make anymore. One advantage of ports-mgmt/portmaster is the handling of dependencies. Please run portmaster -a. If I understand your post correctly it will update sysutils/kdeadmin4 as well. See https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html section 5.5.3.1.

Back