error installing KDE

Well, yes. Ports use dependency system for build/run dependencies, so you probably found missing one or got something broken. And for your effort in installing kde from sources... I don't see any point in making this (except using area51) over packages installation :).

tyson said:
Well, yes. Ports use dependency system for build/run dependencies, so you probably found missing one or got something broken. And for your effort in installing kde from sources... I don't see any point in making this (except using area51) over packages installation :).

Regarding this, what I have to do if some of the packages are corrupted or not downloaded? From my understanding I have to compile it from source, but where do I need to store them?

In the ideal world when you type :
Code:
pkg_add -r kde4
or compile from source:
Code:
cd /usr/ports/x11/kde4
make install clean
you should get the same 'output', this mean KDE installed with all needed dependencies.
Of course, in the second situation there can be some problems depends on what configuration you choose when compiling those source. But of course, if you don't play with compiler flags, and don't play to much with optional dependencies, you should not meet any.
But that was already told in this thread.

As root!You must create xorg.conf file with
Code:
Xorg -configure
command.
So Run:
Code:
Xorg -configure
cd /root
cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
You must add this line to ~/.xinitrc (if not exist, then create it!)
Code:
exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde
Also You must install video driver from ports and add it to /boot/loader.conf. But for Virtual Machine, I am not sure if is necessary or what driver needs.

sk8harddiefast said:
As root!You must create xorg.conf file with
Code:
Xorg -configure
command.
So Run:
Code:
Xorg -configure
cd /root
cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
You must add this line to ~/.xinitrc (if not exist, then create it!)
Code:
exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde
Also You must install video driver from ports and add it to /boot/loader.conf. But for Virtual Machine, I am not sure if is necessary or what driver needs.

Hi,
This is what I'm getting after a successful KDE4 install from package:

Code:
Mar 18 06:41:29 server kernel: /var: mount pending error: blocks 3748 files 1
Mar 18 06:41:43 server kdm-bin[1142]: X server "/usr/local/bin/X" cannot be executed
Mar 18 06:41:43 server kdm-bin[980]: X server for display :0 cannot be started, session disabled
Mar 18 06:42:17 server su: michalss to root on /dev/pts/0

Any help, please? Thank you.

First you're going to have to address the /var issue. Boot into single user mode and run # fsck -y

You do not need to create an xorg.conf for most configurations eg single monitor and you want highest resolution/color depth.

Start with this page, and follow the instructions.

If it doesn't work, review /var/log/Xorg.0.log for the specific issue.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

As I said, you can skip the part about xorg.conf generation, but you must ensure the proper X11 drivers are installed, e.g. mouse/kb/video.

michalss said:
Can anyone help, please. I have FreeBSD 8.2 and I am facing the same issue.

I had same problem with k3b-kde4 FreeBSD 8.2 and resolved it

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/devel/libtool/

It is this what the BSD ports wants and you can install it by

Code:
cd /usr/ports/devel/libtool
make clean
sudo make install clean

after this my k3b-kde4 install went smoothly

Ps.

Hello FreeBSD forums, my first BSD install (ever) is now done and phew it was easy :) KDE455 running here with nvidia candys. Nice and smooth. I come from Linux world, recently started some hackintosh installing and I noticed that MacOSX is based on FreeBSD so of cource I've gotta join in :D

Hey, how I can force port installs stop asking questions too much and put somewhere something like "yes to all and just install the program while I'm in bed"

Back