Error installing freebsd on a dell perc H730p system

I attach two pictures of a machine with a dell perc H730p raid card. Since a while is has been working with it without any problem, but after a power outage we weren't able to recover system and we had to retrieve copies.

The problem is we can't install from a fresh freeBSD 12.1, we also tried 11.1-11.4 and 10.3 without any success.

System is now running but we had to attach hds direct to system and made a mirror zpool with ZFS.

Let me know if you need more info o try something
Thanks

Attachments

• screenshot_2.png
    screenshot_2.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 133
  • screenshot_1.png
    screenshot_1.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 124
Looks like something has gone wrong on the RAID controller itself - the MFI driver is possibly just reporting what it is getting told?

These are all similar messages - not looked for exactly the same as you are getting - just the general class of message/issue:

Search for "fatal firmware error dell perc" and there's more.

It's not OS-specific - it's the RAID controller itself that's unhappy.

I agree. In fact, we no longer buy any server with a raid controller. NO matter what the board makers say, in the end it's a software raid. It is not a "foolproof" hardware solution as many think.

Besides, as we already use in all ZFS servers we do not need a raid, we mount it via a zpool mirror. In fact it is counterproductive to mount a zpool mirror on a "hardware" raid, zfs loses a lot of information and cannot do its job correctly. (1*)

What made me doubt is the error in the controller driver, as can be seen in the image. I think the power failure did not sit well with the controller and it has not recovered, but hey, I preferred to report the error just in case.

(1*) FreeBSD Mastery: ZFS, chapter 0

Back