Error in make of thunar-volman (xfce4)

Hi

Trying to install thunar-volman, following the page: https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/thunar-volman.

make step ends in error as given below:

Code:
make  all-recursive
Making all in icons
Making all in scalable
Making all in 16x16
Making all in 24x24
Making all in 32x32
Making all in 48x48
Making all in 128x128
Making all in po
Making all in thunar-volman
  CCLD     thunar-volman

ld: error: undefined symbol: WEXITSTATUS
>>> referenced by main.c:139
>>>               thunar_volman-main.o:(main)
cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /root/Documents/thunar-volman-4.18.0/thunar-volman-4.18.0/thunar-volman
*** Error code 1
*** Error code 1

What does the error refer to? And how to troubleshoot it?

Thanks
rraj

What does the error refer to?
Well, it has a problem linking to a library, it can't find one that has WEXITSTATUS defined. Thus it fails at the linker stage.

And how to troubleshoot it?
Look at the ./configure options, you often have to tell it where it can find certain dependencies it needs. Those can be in a different directory than the ./configure script expects them to be.

grep for WEXITSTATUS in the *.c files.

Add
#include <sys/wait.h>
to files mentioning it.

ETA: it is a macro

Let us know if you can make it run. The thunar-volman-plugin has been deleted from ports more than 10 years ago, as it was stated as broken for more than six month.

The thunar-volman-plugin has been deleted from ports more than 10 years ago, as it was stated as broken for more than six month.
Yeah, that was what I found too. It broke because it didn't support the newer versions of XFCE. But this seems to be something else though, similar functionality but a different implementation.

But looking at the dependencies I see a different problem, it requires HAL. Which was also removed quite some time ago (sysutils/hal).

Cannot find thunarx-1! I can't make it run.
From the documentation you linked:
If the configure script complains about missing thunarx-1 package and you are using a binary package for Thunar, be sure to install the appropriate -devel package (i.e. for Debian/Ubuntu it is libthunar-vfs-1-dev).
And I'm going to refer back to my response in post #2. FreeBSD doesn't use the concept of -devel packages, libraries and header files are included with the main package. That -devel postfix has a different meaning on FreeBSD, it means it's a development version of that port/package.

Back