error in locking authority file

So out of the blue today I have begun to experience an odd issue when running startx. when running startx, it seems to get hung up...

Code:
error in locking authority file /home/hoobstank/.xserverauth.87863
error in locking authorty file /home/hoobstank/.Xauthority

timeout in locking authoirty file /home/hoobstank/.Xauthority
The last one repeats itself until I hit ctrl+c, which gets me into my openbox session.
I tried removing serverauth and xatuhority to see if it made any difference, and it did not (i restored them after)
I am not sure why this has happened, I have made no changes to my system today, other than lowering my fortuna pool size..

I have a feeling making another user would correct the issue, at least for now. Would like avoid that if possible

Nope. No network shares of any kind anywhere on the system, has never even been connected to one.

This has happened to me before when trying to set up VNC or XDM, i've always had to just undo my changes or make another user. It's really annoying, and I am not sure why it happens. When I google it and see someone with a similar issue the cause is alaways different
I hate X

Do you see the same error if you run xauth list
Before starting Xorg do you have one empty .Xauthority file inside your home dir ls -la /home/hoobstank/
You can try to trace the xauth(1) using truss(1) and see where it fail to create / access the file and if there's some left over file you can use xauth -b to break the locking (read the manual for xauth first)

Attachments

• truss.txt
    16.6 KB · Views: 134
Remove all of those files as root and startx again.

Remove all of those files as root and startx again.

Hey. Sorry for the delay, I have not had electricity in my area following a storm
I have tried this already, they are created again and start causing problems again afterwards.
I am starting to think that they are not the problem but rather a side effect of the actual problem.. it is such a strange issue

Back