Solved ERR 20: Auth Credentials are too weak (NFSv4 + KRB5)

Hi,

I want to share a directory with NFSv4 + Kerberos.
Here is my configuration:
NFS Server: (also tested with -alldirs before and yes I want to use the krb5p)
/etc/exports
V4: /tank/ds -sec=krb5p client.domain.net
/tank/ds -sec=krb5p -maproot=root client.domain.net

Also /etc/rc.conf
nfsuserd_enable="YES"
gssd_enable="YES"
nfs_server_enable="YES"
nfsv4_server_enable="YES"
mountd_enable="YES"

kinit -k nfs/server.domain.net successfully exited and returns 0. I can confirm it with klist

NFS Client:
/etc/rc.conf
nfsuserd_enable="YES"
gssd_enable="YES"
nfs_client_enable="YES"
nfscbd_enable="YES"

I have kerberos keytab on this host with *host/* prefix and I can mount the nfs mountpoint (I can confirm it with mount:
mount_nfs -o nfsv4,minorversion=2,gssname=host,sec=krb5p server.domain.net:/ /storage/ds/

But I can not work with the /storage/ds directory and I get the *Permission Error*:
# ls /storage/ds/
ls: /storage/ds/: Permission denied

For test, I changed the modes of the directory to 777 on the NFS server-side, But nothing changes and I still have the same permission error.

Here is my tcpdump results:
server.domain.net.nfsd > client.domain.net.rndc: Flags [P.], cksum 0x80a9 (incorrect -> 0x86cd), seq 2153:2177, ack 2733, win 29128, options [nop,nop,TS val 819636879 ecr 534231837], length 24: NFS reply xid 1805467811 reply ERR 20: Auth Credentials are too weak

Any Idea?

Update:

# zfs get sharenfs
NAME PROPERTY VALUE SOURCE
tank sharenfs on local
tank/ds sharenfs on local

What version of FreeBSD are you using ? Maybe it is an issue with which algorithm is used to generate the kerberos ticket.

/etc/exports
Code:
 V4: /tank/ds -sec=krb5p client.domain.net
/tank/ds -sec=krb5p -maproot=root client.domain.net
Update:
Rich (BB code):
# zfs get sharenfs
tank sharenfs on local
tank/ds sharenfs on local

If you have a /etc/exports file then you don't need a ZFS sharenfs option set, and if set, here the "sharenfs" option Kerberos credential flavor "krb5p" is missing. See zfspropts(7) sharenfs=on|off|opts.

I have kerberos keytab on this host
If this is Heimdal kerberos then the reason why the NFS mount with Kerberos credentials are getting "permission denied" is, it seems kerberized NFSv4 on FreeBSD is broken, with tickets created with Heimdal Kerberos from base or port crypto/heimdal. I've done testings, hours of testing, until I got fed up, after guide https://people.freebsd.org/~rmacklem/nfs-krb5-setup.txt .

See discussions:

I read somewhere, I believe in the FreeBSD mailing lists, kerberized NFS with tickets created with MIT Kerberos V5 work, but never tried it myself.

securtity/krb5-118
securtity/krb5-119
securtity/krb5-120
securtity/krb5-devel

If you have a /etc/exports file then you don't need a ZFS sharenfs option set, and if set, here the "sharenfs" option Kerberos credential flavor "krb5p" is missing. See zfspropts(7) sharenfs=on|off|opts.

If this is Heimdal kerberos then the reason why the NFS mount with Kerberos credentials are getting "permission denied" is, it seems kerberized NFSv4 on FreeBSD NFSv4 is broken, with tickets created with Heimdal Kerberos from base or port crypto/heimdal. I've done testings, hours of testing, until I got fed up, after guide https://people.freebsd.org/~rmacklem/nfs-krb5-setup.txt .

See discussions:

I read somewhere, I believe in the FreeBSD mailing lists, kerberized NFS with tickets created with MIT Kerberos V5 work, but never tried it myself.

securtity/krb5-118
securtity/krb5-119
securtity/krb5-120
securtity/krb5-devel
Found this thread and remove the sharenfs on ZFS and I still getting the same error.

Also yes, I am using Heimdal.
Let me check your threads.

What is the ticket etype ? klist -v
Are you using the version in base for heimdal ?
Credentials cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0
Principal: nfs/server.domain.net@DOMAIN.NET
Cache version: 4

Server: krbtgt/DOMAIN.NET@DOMAIN.NET
Client: nfs/server.domain.net@DOMAIN.NET
Ticket etype: aes256-cts-hmac-sha1-96, kvno 1
Ticket length: 344
Auth time: Dec 4 20:39:35 2022
End time: Dec 5 06:39:35 2022
Ticket flags: pre-authent, initial, forwardable
Addresses: addressless

And etype for nfs/client.

After reading the whole thread below, I decided to move my whole /etc/exports configuration to zfs sharenfs.
On the server-side:
/etc/exports
V4: /tank/ds
And here is the sharenfs output:
zfs set sharenfs=on,maproot=root,sec=krb5p,client.domain.net
zfs get sharenfs
tank sharenfs off local
tank/ds sharenfs on,maproot=root,sec=krb5p,client.domain.net local

But I got this line on /var/log/messages:
... mountd[19035]: bad exports list line '/tank/ds on -maproot': no valid entries

Any Idea?

I did a simple test to use nfs sharenfs property, followed by a zfs share the/dataset
And I don't have a /etc/exports .
So I guess the first issue is the existence of this files.

I did a simple test to use nfs sharenfs property, followed by a zfs share the/dataset And I don't have a /etc/exports . So I guess the first issue is the existence of this files.
I also test it without including kerberos and host/subnet flags and it works.
Based on previous thread that I mentioned before I think the existence of the file should not be a problem, If only the "V4: " line included

And here is the sharenfs output:
zfs set sharenfs=on,maproot=root,sec=krb5p,client.domain.net
But I got this line on /var/log/messages:
... mountd[19035]: bad exports list line '/tank/ds on -maproot': no valid entries
Probably a IP resolve issue, which is affecting all other 'sharenfs' options. Execute grep mountd /var/log/messages | tail, look for "address info for client.domain.net".

Then remove client.domain.net.

I think the existence of the file [/etc/expors] should not be a problem, If only the "V4: " line included
That's correct.

Probably a IP resolve issue, which is affecting all other 'sharenfs' options. Execute grep mountd /var/log/messages | tail, look for "address info for client.domain.net".

Then remove client.domain.net.

That's correct.
I can resolve it on the nfs server/client and nothing changes by removing the client from sharenfs:
# zfs get sharenfs -r tank/ds
cannot open '-r': dataset does not exist
tank/ds sharenfs on,maproot=root,sec=krb5p local

I still getting the same error:
# tail -n3 /var/log/messages
Dec 5 ... client mountd[19035]: can't get address info for host on
Dec 5 ... client mountd[19035]: bad host on, skipping
Dec 5 ... client mountd[19035]: bad exports list line '/tank/ds on -maproot': no valid entries

Maybe you need to remove the on in the sharenfs property ? I guess it is on to mean to activate with default parameter, and then if you have non default parameter, you replace on by those parameters ?

i tried a similar setup and it works
i used this document https://people.freebsd.org/~rmacklem/nfs-krb5-setup.txt and https://people.freebsd.org/~rmacklem/nfs-krb5-setup.txt
i get the same error if the user that does the ls command does not have ticket
the nfs client host and the user accessing the share both need to be in kdc
Code:
[root@hpbsd /usr/home/meuser]# mount -t nfs -o nfsv4,sec=krb5p,gssname=host linsux.domain.local:/ /extra
[root@hpbsd /usr/home/meuser]# ls /extra/
ls: /extra/: Permission denied
[root@hpbsd /usr/home/meuser]#
exit
[meuser@hpbsd ~]$ id
uid=1001(meuser) gid=1001(meuser) groups=1001(meuser),0(wheel),44(video),68(dialer)
[meuser@hpbsd ~]$ klist -v
Credentials cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_1001
        Principal: meuser@DOMAIN.LOCAL
    Cache version: 4
  KDC time offset: 6 minutes 51 seconds

Server: krbtgt/DOMAIN.LOCAL@DOMAIN.LOCAL
Client: meuser@DOMAIN.LOCAL
Ticket length: 322
Auth time:  Dec  5 08:45:04 2022
End time:   Dec  5 18:38:13 2022
Ticket flags: pre-authent, initial, forwardable

Server: nfs/linsux.domain.local@DOMAIN.LOCAL
Client: meuser@DOMAIN.LOCAL
Ticket length: 348
Auth time:  Dec  5 08:45:04 2022
Start time: Dec  5 08:45:08 2022
End time:   Dec  5 18:38:13 2022
Ticket flags: transited-policy-checked, pre-authent

[meuser@hpbsd ~]$ ls /extra/
e        hq        includes    p
[meuser@hpbsd ~]$
this /etc/exports on linsux (nfs server)

/extra/wwwroot -sec=krb5p -network=10.1.1.0/24
V4: /extra/wwwroot -sec=krb5p -network=10.1.1.0/24
client and server are both freebsd 13.1 amd64 (ignore the misleading hostname :)

Seems like I am getting a new error here.
  1. I removed the "-h" flag from the gssd service on the nfs client. (Now I can mount.)
  2. Then I got the Permission Error from the nfs mounted directory (which is "ERR 20: Auth Credentials are too weak" on tcpdump, Suddenly by running the kinit -k ... command, my Permission Error gone.
  3. Now I still can not see my files on NFS mountpoint and creating files on the nfs mounted directory gives me the "touch: /storage/ds/gfdsfsdfg: Input/output error".

Seems like I am getting a new error here.
  1. I removed the "-h" flag from the gssd service on the nfs client. (Now I can mount.)
  2. Then I got the Permission Error from the nfs mounted directory (which is "ERR 20: Auth Credentials are too weak" on tcpdump, Suddenly by running the kinit -k ... command, my Permission Error gone.
  3. Now I still can not see my files on NFS mountpoint and creating files on the nfs mounted directory gives me the "touch: /storage/ds/gfdsfsdfg: Input/output error".
i got that too
the problem is that your client can't traverse server mountpoints
export every volume separately

That's the same link twice. Would you mind posting exactly what you did? I tried, and like T-Daemon could not get it to work.
the other was https://wiki.freebsd.org/KerberizedNFS
and also handbook docs on kerberos

i did setup kerberos and just mostly pasted from the people.freebsd.org link
i had functional forward-reverse dns
my nfs server box is the same as kdc box
in fact spmzt's setup is the same as mine. his problem was that the user accessing the mount did not have a ticket

Somehow I make it work.
with these configuration:
/etc/rc.conf:
gssd_enable="YES"
gssd_flags="-h"
nfsuserd_enable="YES"
nfs_server_enable="YES"
nfsv4_server_only="YES"
nfs_server_flags="-t -n 32"

/etc/exports:
V4: /tank/ds -sec=krb5p -network *.*.*.0/24

And:
# zfs get sharenfs tank/ds
tank/ds sharenfs sec=krb5p local

Plus previous configuration on the client.
But my nfs client works with *nobody* permission.
# touch /storage/ds/ds0/test2
root@client:~ # ls -ltrha /storage/ds/ds0
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 22 root wheel 22B Dec 3 21:02 ..
-r--r--r--+ 1 nobody wheel 0B Dec 5 21:01 test

Back