Enter and Delete keys not working in forum post editor

Something changed in the forums recently, and now I am not able to use my Delete or Enter keys when editing a post. Ctrl+Delete still works to delete the previous word, and Ctrl+Enter will submit the post. But just a plain Delete or Enter does nothing. It makes it very hard to edit text. I have to select the text and type over it. Is this happening with anyone else? I am using Chrome 66 on Win7 64bit.

Something changed in the forums recently, and now I am not able to use my Delete or Enter keys when editing a post.
Are you sure about the forum part? Because I also know that Chrome tends to perform silent updates a lot, which would mean that it wouldn't be impossible for an update to slip in which could cause this.

Anyway, I'm using Opera which is build upon Chromium and I guess there's one way to find out. If the forum did change something then I'd find it highly unlikely that it would affect you and not me.

(edit) (for obvious reasons)

Well, I cannot represent the issue. I just continued typing as above and it just works. I cannot detect any different behavior from, say, a few days ago. Deleting words, editing, enter... nothing weird.

This does lead up to another question: are you using any specific plugins? What happens if you try this in safe mode (safe mode will also stop any plugins from running)? Because if things work normal from there on then it's most definitely a plugin going rampant.

Well, before trying safe mode, I can say this much... when I press the Delete or Enter key, in the console I see this error:
Code:
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'left' of undefined
    at Object.o [as getBoundingRect] (editor-compiled.js?_v=b592ff1b:7)
    at s (editor-compiled.js?_v=b592ff1b:7)
    at s.p (editor-compiled.js?_v=b592ff1b:7)
    at u (editor-compiled.js?_v=b592ff1b:7)
    at HTMLDivElement.<anonymous> (editor-compiled.js?_v=b592ff1b:7)
    at HTMLDivElement.dispatch (jquery-3.2.1.min.js:3)
    at HTMLDivElement.q.handle (jquery-3.2.1.min.js:3)

Update:

Running chrome.exe --disable-extensions did solve the problem, but I am mystified as to what extension is at fault. Will take some experimenting. Sigh.

Javascript is run locally, on your browser. Which makes me convinced that your problem is a local one, otherwise I would have experienced the same thing. Still... the cause of the problem is a different story. It is possible that the forum uses certain javascript methods which are not supported by your browser. But I have no clue who's fault that would be. I find it very hard to believe that the forum would use such arcane routines that it no longer works on your box.

I make that claim because I can still write and post with an older version of Internet Explorer (don't ask).

So you might want to verify what javascript engine your browser is using, and if nothing tampered with that.

I tried allowing cookies from code.jquery.com and maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com (I was blocking them with Privacy Badger) and whitelisting forums.freebsd.org in Kill Evil (an extension which blocks JavaScript shenanigans like mouse click interception & select/copy/paste blocking). Then I reloaded the forum page and suddenly my Enter and Delete keys are working without error.

So then I re-enabled the cookie blocking and removed the whitelisting, one by one, and reloaded and tested each time. Still working OK! Did a complete browser restart, and it's still working. I held the page reload button and chose "Empty cache and hard reload". Still working. Checked the network log and it's still grabbing the same versions of scripts as before. Color me completely mystified.

My guess is it was the Kill Evil extension was the culprit, but you would think that once I disabled the whitelisting, the problem would resurface. Then again, the problem cropped up in the last week without anything changing on my end (that I know of), so who knows.

Sorry to alarm anyone.

My guess is it was the Kill Evil extension was the culprit, but you would think that once I disabled the whitelisting, the problem would resurface. Then again, the problem cropped up in the last week without anything changing on my end (that I know of), so who knows.
Maybe something was stuck in your cache. You cleared your cache too.

Sorry to alarm anyone.
No need, it's better to have one false yet seriously meant issue than having a real problem without anyone reporting it.

I'm happy to hear you managed to sort it out mb! Thanks for the feedback, it's always nicer to read about the outcome than hearing nothing back at all.

Back