enlightenment screen lock password

adripillo

Seems it have some problems when I lock screen and want to unlock it.
It says the password is not correct, I google it and found similars problems but with no replies. Any has solved it or knows how to do it?. Thanks.

OP
A

adripillo

This issue is getting me mad, I can not leave my computer without locking the screen.

OP
A

adripillo

fonz said:
What exactly are you using to lock your screen? Is it x11/xlockmore, x11/xscreensaver or something else perhaps?

I do not know what enlightenment uses to lock the screen, but it is not a screensaver for sure. I just made left click and went to the menu options and set lock screen.

OP
A

adripillo

The wiki says this:

Screen unlocking does not work

If screenlock does not accept your password add the following to /etc/pam.d/enlightenment:

auth required pam_unix_auth.so

But I can not find enlightenment under /pam.d/. So I do not know if is good to create it or something is missing here.

OP
A

adripillo

I decided to create the file and add that line inside, but now the screen can be unlocked writing anything so it is not working well. When the screen unlocks it says this:

Code:
Authentications via PAM had errors setting up the authentication session. The error code was 1.

kpa

Beastie's Twin

That advice in the wiki is most likely for Linux, in FreeBSD the PAM module is called pam_unix(8). Try this line in the file:

Code:
auth required pam_unix.so

OP
A

adripillo

kpa said:
That advice in the wiki is most likely for Linux, in FreeBSD the PAM module is called pam_unix(8). Try this line in the file:

Code:
auth required pam_unix.so

Does not work like that.

fonz

Son of Beastie

adripillo said:
I do not know what enlightenment uses to lock the screen, but it is not a screensaver for sure.
Don't let the name fool you, x11/xscreensaver can also lock the screen if so desired.

Anyway, does Enlightenment have a setting somewhere that specifies how the screen is locked?

OP
A

adripillo

fonz said:
Don't let the name fool you, x11/xscreensaver can also lock the screen if so desired.

Anyway, does Enlightenment have a setting somewhere that specifies how the screen is locked?

I was looking for it but could not find it.

fonz

Son of Beastie

Can you check (see /var/db/pkg/) whether one of the ports I mentioned has been installed?

fonz

Son of Beastie

adripillo said:
I have installed now x11/xlockmore
If you run it manually (e.g. % xlock -mode kumppa), does the problem persist?

adripillo said:
but can not install x11/xscreensaver (fireflies fails).
That's a known problem. If you ever wish to install x11/xscreensaver and you're building from ports, just disable that one.

OP
A

adripillo

fonz said:
If you run it manually (e.g. % xlock -mode kumppa), does the problem persist?

Yes, still the same problem, password does not match.

fonz

Son of Beastie

adripillo said:
I used this time x11/xlockmore to lock screen, but when I want to unlock it it also says password is wrong.
Then I suspect it's indeed a PAM problem. Can you try x11/xtrlock? It's very small, simple and it appears not to use PAM.

OP
A

adripillo

fonz said:
Then I suspect it's indeed a PAM problem. Can you try x11/xtrlock? It's very small, simple and it appears not to use PAM.

This one worked fine and is very funny. Thanks a lot. Hope some day the Enlightenment get fixed.

fonz

Son of Beastie

adripillo said:
This one worked fine and is very funny. Thanks a lot. Hope some day the Enlightenment get fixed.
I'm glad you now have at least something that works. However, I suspect that the problem with the other locks isn't in Enlightenment itself but in your system's PAM configuration. I do recommend that you look into it when you can spare the time.

OP
A

adripillo

fonz said:
I'm glad you now have at least something that works. However, I suspect that the problem with the other locks isn't in Enlightenment itself but in your system's PAM configuration. I do recommend that you look into it when you can spare the time.

I do have the time, but as you can suspect I do not have idea about PAM, but I will google all I can. Thanks a lot.

Peter2121

Workaround

I don't think it is a PAM problem because I had this problem with two different installations - PC-BSD 9.0 and PC-BSD 9.1 with two different versions of Enlightenment. It seems that Enlightenment does not speak correctly with the FreeBSD PAM subsystem.

The solution I've found - use another PAM library (pam_pwdfile), specially for Enlightenment unlock authentication.

We need to install two ports:
security/pam_pwdfile
security/makepasswd

Then we need to create an encrypted password:
[cmd=]echo "<password>" | makepasswd --clearfrom - --crypt-md5[/cmd]

The encrypted password will be written to the console.

To be secure - don't forget to clear commands history.

The encrypted password should be saved in a password file, for example in /usr/local/etc/enlightenment.passwd.

The content is usable for a password file:
Code:
<login>:<password-crypted>

The last step - we need to create the file /etc/pam.d/enlightenment with the content
Code:
auth	required	/usr/local/lib/pam_pwdfile.so pwdfile /usr/local/etc/enlightenment.passwd
Now you can lock the screen with Enlightenment and check if it works.

If it does not work - change the content of /etc/pam.d/enlightenment to
Code:
auth	required	pam_permit.so
so you can unlock the screen with any password, and try something else.

fonz

Son of Beastie

Peter2121 said:
It seems that Enlightenment does not speak correctly with the FreeBSD PAM subsystem.
Thanks for joining in and for suggesting a solution.