Solved Enlightenment 0.17.5 startup hang

Good evening,

My system runs Xfce just fine, but I would like to try out a new DE upon the recommendation of a friend. Sort of a "kick the tires" sort of thing.

I build everything from ports, I do not use binary packages.

FreeBSD 10.1-STABLE, x64, latest NVidia driver for a GTX-660.

My .xinitrc has this in it:
Code:
nvidia-settings -a "[gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1" -a "[fan:0]/GPUCurrentFanSpeed=50"
exec /usr/local/bin/startxfce4
#exec enlightenment_start

Obviously I change the comments around when I attempt to run startx. I have also tried full paths as mentioned in the pkg_list file of the port.

I do not use a login manager. All of my DE's start with startx.

My issue is that E-17 starts, asks me the questions about keyboard layout, focus preferences, title bar size, taskbar, and compositing, etc. But once I have answered all the questions, E-17 then goes to the startup screen and just sits there with the little colored boxes animating. I never get the taskbar up, nor get any further than this. going to another VT, top reports < 1% CPU usage, so I know E-17 hasn't run away with my CPU.

I have dropped back to the CLI, kill my xinit session, delete the .e directory and started over, this time changing the compositor settings. I have tried all the compositor settings, including all off, and I still cannot get E-0.17.5 to get passed the animated square splash screen.

I would sure appreciate some assistance so I can test drive this WM. I've seen it do great things on others machines. Those other machines were Linux though, I don't know if this revision of E-17 is broken on FreeBSD though. I've read some posts about various issues but I haven't read about showstoppers. So if this revision is simply broken on FreeBSD at this time I'm okay with that, I just need to know that so I don't burn a bunch of time trying to get it working.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember the details, so excuse me if I'm wrong, but I had exactly the same problem several weeks ago and I think the problem was I was lacking a port which does not get installed by default. Look at the messages printed in the console from where you launch startx and I'm quite sure you'll find a clue.

EDIT: I've found the following in my shell history: # pkg install -g e17-module\*

Thank you Juanitou,

I installed the modules but still have the same issue.

I did find a key combination that brought me to the E-17 desktop though, CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+HOME. I read that this resets the compositor. When I issued this, I had the E-17 desktop. But after logging out, I couldn't restart E-17. I have read another issue here in the forums about this so I am going to re-read that post to see if I come up with something. I am using the proprietary NVidia driver.

Thank you again for your help. I also installed (from ports) all the modules as well.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

PS: Here was the fix for not being able to startup again: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/enlightenment-screen-start-bug.41529/. You have to disable the splash screen which was probably causing my initial problem, but without the first desktop, you have no opportunity to turn it off.

Back