Solved Endless scrolling, out of swap space

I just installed mysql
I rebooted and during the booting process the following scrolled on the screen.

"pid nnnnn (sh) jid 0, vid 0, was killed: out of swap space"

I tried ctrl C but that did nothing.
I could not open 2nd terminal
it scrolled for over an hour
I removed the battery and rebooted as single use and the error messages changed.

"maxproc limit exceeded by vid 0 (pid nnnnn) see tuning(7) login.conf(5)"

crtlC broke out of it but then it locked on

"Starting devd"

ctrlC does not cause it to break out and its locked there.

Eventually I got a prompt, logged in and did a proper reboot

It booted but spent a long time at mount root but the original

"..out of swap space" returned.

I cannot get control and am at a loss.

What version of FreeBSD? On what kind of system and how much memory does it have?

What version of FreeBSD? On what kind of system and how much memory does it have?
BSD ver 12.2
Laptop
memory was the default recommended during the build.
5 hours later its still scrolling "out of space"

I could reboot and go in by the back door via the install DVD but I'm keen to find the problem.

memory was the default recommended during the build.
What does that mean? Does the machine have 2GB or 4Gb or 8GB of RAM?

What version of FreeBSD - 12.2 on ? i386? amd64?

ZFS or UFS?

What version of MySQL did you install?

Did you change the my.cnf settings?

Did you literally just install MySQL and then bad things happened? Or you tried to set up database(s)?

This is all very unusual for FreeBSD and MySQL, especially from just installing MySQL.

You can get MySQL 5.7 and FreeBSD 12.x chew up swap space and make the OOM reaper arrive, but you have to be trying.

To find the problem - either boot into single user mode or do as you've done and use the install DVD (to get back in, not to re-install!)

Turn off any services e.g. MySQL (but you have to change your configuration to make that even start up, so can't see how a basic install would make this happen?) and reboot. See how much you have to turn off before you can do a normal boot again.

I think you mean uid and gid when you say vid and jid.

Something is very badly misconfigured. Telling us how much memory you have will probably not help, unless it is a ludicrously small amount (like 32 MiB); behavior like that just shall not happen. You probably have to check all your configuration parameters, both system and applications that are running.

Good debugging technique: What did you do between the last time it worked correctly, and the first time it broke? Whatever step that was: which configuration does it affect?

• It is a bad idea to pull the battery out off the laptop.
    The battery is like an UPS and enables the OS & hardware, e.g. cache for the disk or SSD, to shutdown cleanly in case of a crash. Very few laptops have a 2nd internal battery that can only be disabled explicitely in the BIOS or UEFI. Unless you have such a 2nd battery, please do never run it without battery, even when you have AC online power from the electrical socket.
  • Please provide the output of freebsd-version, cat /etc/os-release, uname -aU, fgrep -A 25 -- '---<<BOOT>>---' /var/run/dmesg.boot and swapinfo -h
  • Info about the exact vendor/type/model of your laptop would be very useful.
  • Is that an ARM CPU? AMD CPU? Shiny new AMD ThreadRipper?
  • "memory was the default recommended during the build." you mean swap space and hard disk partitioning asked by the installer? See also next question...
  • OR do you mean you built FreeBSD yourself?
    If yes, we'd like to see your make.conf, src.conf, src-env.conf, the kernel config, and whatever you can imagine, maybe even the telephone number of your grandma.
  • How much RAM does the laptop have?
  • Did you install the 32-bit or 64-bit (standard) version of FreeBSD?
  • Did you install MySQL from packages or did you built it yourself from ports(7)?

jitte@jigoku:~ $ uname -a
FreeBSD jigoku 12.2-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p4 GENERIC amd6

AMD Phenom II x 3 N830 Triple Core @ 2.1GHz
ATI Mobilty Radeon HD 4250
4GB DDR3 RAM
Hitachi Travelstar 500GB HDD @ 7200RPM

This is the most swap I remember seeing used on any of from 5-6 laptops at once faithfully serving my general desktop purposes in all the time I've been running FreeBSD and that's still miniscule in amount IMO.

swap_used.png

Triple Core... zzz...
I have 2 Thinkpad W520 with the only difference in specs is one is a Gen 2 i7:

Intel Quad Core i7-2760QM (2.40GHz, 6MB L3, 1600MHz FSB, 45W)
8 GB RAM PC3-10600

One has been offline serving as my .mp3 player since 12.1-RELEASE-p3. The other is a Win10Pro used to play Elder Scrolls: Oblivion or listen to music to count sheep by.

This is my next most "powerful" laptop. My Sisters Hubby dropped a can of frijoles on the handrest area, boinked the HDD and was going to toss it into the trash when she happened to ask "Wonder if my Brother the Black Sheep would like to have it?

I put a new HDD in it, installed FreeBSD, told him about it and and said thank you very much. He was glad I did and that it worked for me.

I have several laptop all of lesser specs running FreeBSD now. The one I use most is a T400:

Thinkpad T400
Intel Core2 Duo P8600 @ 2.4GHz
8GB PC3-8500 RAM
250GB Scorpio Black HDD @ 7200RPM
Switchable Graphics with Intel GMA 4500MHD and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470
14.1" 1280x800 (WXGA) with LED backlight
Intel HD Audio

I have 2 T61 with the only difference is being one has widescreen:

Thinkpad T61
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.0GHz
4GB PC2-5300 RAM
nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M
15.4" 1680x1050 (WSXGA+) widescreen
Hitachi Travelstar 500GB HDD @ 7200RPM
Intel HD Audio

I have never run short on resources and all are used and do exceeding well in meeting my expectations and needs for a desktop, and some work more resource consuming than others.

But please provide a link to one post in any thread I made where I was unhappy with or complained about how they preformed during any activity using FreeBSD as a desktop OS.

I would be bored to sleep too if I wasn't already bored to death from hearing cries of woe concerning KDE and FreeBSD from those too tired to turn the thinky thing thoughts towards turning their tangle to tango terrifyingly trim WM.

What does that mean? Does the machine have 2GB or 4Gb or 8GB of RAM?

What version of FreeBSD - 12.2 on ? i386? amd64?

ZFS or UFS?

What version of MySQL did you install?

Did you change the my.cnf settings?

Did you literally just install MySQL and then bad things happened? Or you tried to set up database(s)?

This is all very unusual for FreeBSD and MySQL, especially from just installing MySQL.

You can get MySQL 5.7 and FreeBSD 12.x chew up swap space and make the OOM reaper arrive, but you have to be trying.

To find the problem - either boot into single user mode or do as you've done and use the install DVD (to get back in, not to re-install!)

Turn off any services e.g. MySQL (but you have to change your configuration to make that even start up, so can't see how a basic install would make this happen?) and reboot. See how much you have to turn off before you can do a normal boot again.
I did a quick install of BSD 12 an an old 64bit laptop which I then upgraded to 12.2 but did not pay attention to anything. I dont even know the disk size. Lesson learnt, Write it down in future.

The lock up stared immediately after I installed mysql8 and rebooted.

Iwill have to go in via the install DVD and report back.

Did you install on real hardware or into a virtual machine, e.g. VirtualBox? I guess noone will help you as long you do not answer our questions... just because we can't help you if you don't answer even the most basic questions we have.

I was in such a mess I reinstalled BSD 12.2 and installed mysql 8 again. This was successful

Being wiser I started it with

service mysq-server onestart

before starting it during the boot process

The command echoed "Starting mysql . " and returned the user prompt.

Can I assume this is now stable and I can reboot?

Thanks

Steve

MySQL is going to start automatically if you added mysql_enable="YES" to rc.conf. If it's not there, or set to "NO" then the service isn't going to start during boot.

Following on from my earlier posts. I did a few reloads.

here is what I have
3.9G Swap
2G ram
BSD12.2

I loaded mysql8 started it with onestart and it seemed OK
Then I made a mistake,
I entered the line

service mysql-server start

in

/etc/rc.conf

At the same time the screen filled with the cache problem I mention at the start of this thread

I removed the battery to power down, rebooted in Single User mode and got a prompt. I am unable to edit /etc/rc.conf to fix my error.

I tried both ee and vi to edit.

I removed the battery to power down, rebooted in Single User mode and got a prompt. I am unable to edit /etc/rc.conf to fix my error.

I tried both ee and vi to edit.
In single-user mode, everything is mounted read-only by default. How to change this depends on the filesystem you use. So, what is your filesystem?

Can I not boot via the install DVD, mount the laptops hard drive then edit /etc/rc.conf

Just boot to single user mode shell and enter
# mount -u -w /
Now edit /etc/rc.conf, replacing service mysql-server start with mysql_enable="YES"
after saving the changes:
# exit
booting should proceed as normal.

mount: /dev/ada0p2: R/W mount of / denied. Filesystem is not clean -run fsck.

Shall I run fsck?

PHEW!that did it.
Now I have to deal with mysql

entered service mysql-server onestart

and it seems stable

Back