Enabling Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN miniPCI Adapter

I'm attempting to install FreeBSD on an old Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop. I'm unable to get the wireless adapter going.

I know that it's physically OK because it worked with another OS on this laptop just before I installed FreeBSD.

For some reason, pciconf -lbcev thinks it's not exactly a 2100:
Code:
iwi0@pci0:2:3:0:   class=xxx
vendor = 'Intel Corporation'
device = 'PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection'
(etc.)

I've edited /boot/loader.conf following the instructions in ipw(4).

ifconfig -l only shows two devices, bfe0 and lo0.

dmesg | grep iwi returns:
Code:
iwi0: <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG> mem 0xfaffc000-0xfaffcfff irq 9 at device 3.0 on pci2

... and I think that's all I can report so far. Any suggestions?

True, an inconsistency. I examined the actual wlan adapter inside the laptop, and the label includes the digits “2200”, so I assume that it is one of the models for which iwi is appropriate. See iwi(4).

I edited /boot/loader.conf replacing “ipw” with “iwi”, but ifconfig -l still only shows the same two devices.

Is it possible that I need to locate and install the NDIS code?

Have you acknowledged the intel licence for the firmware?

From iwi(4):
This driver requires the firmware built with the iwifw module to work.
For the loaded firmware to be enabled for use the license at
/usr/share/doc/legal/intel_iwi.LICENSE must be agreed by adding the fol-
lowing line to loader.conf(5):

legal.intel_iwi.license_ack=1

Well, that means the card is recognized and the driver loaded. You can now follow the rest of the configuration from the handbook.

Well, that means the card is recognized and the driver loaded. You can now follow the rest of the configuration from the handbook.

I have the wireless card associating with the wireless network now, but when I try
a ping to the router itself or anything else on the network managed by the router, I get “No route to host”. ping localhost works.

Other wireless devices can ping the router and each other. They cannot ping the device I am working on.

In /etc/rc.conf I have the line defaultrouter=“192.168.1.1”.

Post the output of ifconfig wlan0 and netstat -rn

In /etc/rc.conf I have the line defaultrouter=“192.168.1.1”
Remove it if you use DHCP. DHCP should already provide the correct gateway.

Post the output of ifconfig wlan0 and netstat -rn

Remove it if you use DHCP. DHCP should already provide the correct gateway.

I believe I have it. This is a laptop with both wired and wireless network interfaces. When I used ifconfig to declare the wired interface “down”, then I was able to reach my network via the wireless interface. I am aware that there is a failover capability in FreeBSD and I’ll investigate it. I’m using fixed IP addresses on this network.

Thanks for all your help!

Back