Solved Enabling cyrus-sas12 (SMTP Authentication) without rebuilding SendMail

Hello,

Is it possible to "link" cyrus-sas12 to SendMail without needing to rebuild SendMail ? The reason I'm asking is that I am using packages for everything else, and it'd be inconvenient to have to build everything from source just because I needed SMTP Authentication (in order to avoid mixing packages with building from source).

Despite what seems to be a popular feeling, from reading the documentation I tend to find SendMail much more user-friendly than postfix and a few other systems I have looked at. I also enjoy the way it is closely integrated with FreeBSD. However, if there is an absolute need to build stuff from source to make it useful, then my perception may change.

Are you talking about the port of sendmail or about sendmail in the base system? I ask this, because the port description on mail/sendmail suggests that security/cyrus-sasl2 is enabled by default, and so you could simply do pkg install sendmail+tls+sasl2 in order to achieve your goals.

I had in mind the one in the base system, but I do not mind installing the port if this is possible. My understanding is that we are talking about the same program and the only difference between the two are the extra build options in the port. Is that correct?

Also is there a risk of conflict, can I simply install the package without needing to fiddle with removing sendmail from the base system?

Unfortunately the Sendmail as shipped on the base system doesn't support Sasl out of the box. I base this conclusion on /usr/bin/sendmail -d 0.1 -bv root; it has no mention of Sasl.

(edit) Shouldn't be much risk. Just make sure to disable Sendmail on the base system and 'move' full control over to the one shipped by the ports collection by using their respective rc.conf variables.

My understanding is that we are talking about the same program and the only difference between the two are the extra build options in the port.
The port might be slightly newer because the version in the base OS is more or less "locked". Other than that it should indeed the same application.

Note that it's SASL 2, not SAS 12. Understandable, some fonts make it really difficult to see the difference between a l (lower case L), I (uppercase I) and 1 (digit one).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Authentication_and_Security_Layer

Back