emulators/qemu + ncurses

Issue with qemu + ncurses seems to hunt me down for some time. I even opened PR 211973 for it. Issue was not solved at all, I always found some workaround to have it done manually.

TL;DR version: qemu is installed without the ncurses support even when selected in port's menu config, refuses to install at all when you're using devel/ncurses.

The issue I have with recent versions can be found in PR, I'm not going to double post. For me it seems a bit ridiculous this bug was not fixed by proper port maintainer. So I'm thinking maybe I'm the problem here...

And hence my question: are you using qemu with ncurses , and if so, do you have any problems with it?

I know it's no big help and I might be totally wrong in this case.

I had some time ago a problem because a port was failing to build.
Problem was in the linker stage.
Only solution was to compile without linking and then do a separate linker run, with explicitly specifying the correct libraries to use.

Cause/Background of the problem probably was mixing ports and packages, leading to incompatible lib versions.
So, maybe switching FreeBSD.conf from *quarterly* to *latest* and then running pkg update could solve this problem by updating pkg libraries to latest, so they are on sync with ports.

You are not wrong .. If you read the last posts in that PR I did you'll see I'm talking about the same issue. If I omit prepocessor issue (which is weird why nobody else reported a problem) it boils down to the linking issue.

Port itself has some faulty logic during configuration stage, pkg-config returns paths for ncurses from ports when present. The whole package is built against port library and linked together with a system one. That produces garbled output when qemu is started and is unusable.

Linker flags are -L"/usr/lib" -L"/usr/local/lib" which makes it a problem to link to a proper library when you want to use ports. I had to manually edit the linker flags to be the other way around ( -L"/usr/local/lib" -L"/usr/lib" ) to link it successfully. Problem is what if you have some other library you want to use from system first ? I'm not aware of any library like that, only ncurses, but still ..

Yes I read your PR. And this reminded me of the ordeal of getting Firefox built back then.
I had installed it via pkg, deleted it later and tried to build it via ports, because I wanted to experiment a bit with sessionstore.js due to a bug in regard to FVWM.
As it was only one library that caused problems, I finally solved it by building that single library, putting its path at the beginning of the linker paths list.

But I suspect this wouldn't have been necessary if I had switched from quarterly to latest versions in FreeBSD.conf.
I have somehow the feeling that most of the problems with mixing pkg and ports are related to the fact that ports are always "latest", and so one will run into problems unless s/he switches FreeBSD.conf to "latest" immediately after base system install.

Note I'm using the "latest", or current for ports (daily portsnap) and don't mix the pkg vs port install. I think this port is just broken, but I really like to hear other voices and their experience with such installation of qemu.

Back