Solved Emoji not displayed or overlapping text

Hello,

I normally have x11-fonts/twemoji-color-font-ttf as the only emoji font installed and it works fine in all programs I use (using latest packages on 13.1-STABLE).

Recently appeared problems.

That's how https://emojipedia.org/angry-face-with-horns looks like in Firefox:
angry-firefox-broken.png

As you can see, some emoji don't show up, and the ones that do don't get the required space and collide with the text.
The problem is the same in Thunderbird (text and emoji overlap).

The same page opened in Falkon doesn't show any emoji at all.

If I install x11-fonts/noto-emoji, I get proper rendering of the page in both Firefox and Falkon:
angry-falkon-ok.png

However the problem persists in Thunderbird, where emoji still show up in their twemoji design and still collide with text.
Uninstalling twemoji-color-font-ttf makes them disappear, Thunderbird seems not to be able to use noto-emoji.

I suspected a bug of twemoji but the port didn't get any update since last July so the problem must be elsewhere.

Therefore:
1. Are you affected too?
2. Do you have an idea which component could be faulty?

Thank you

Moved thread to "Display Servers". Doesn't quite fit there but it's probably the best section to get attention regarding X fonts.

Were you still affected by such issues before installing noto-emoji? My problem (PR 264602) was fixed long time ago together with the release of Firefox 102 and Thunderbird 102.

I don't know, because I don't know what package I had installed that gave me emoji. I just re-installed from scratch to get ZFS on root in 13.2.

I am noticing weird text alignment problems in Firefox, but they seem unrelated to emoji.I do have the list of packages I had installed before. I'll see if I can figure it out today if I have time.

mkdir -p ~/.fonts/mozilla/

cp /usr/local/lib/firefox/fonts/TwemojiMozilla.ttf ~/.fonts/mozilla/

cd ~/.fonts/

mkfontdir mozilla/

mkfontscale mozilla/

fc-cache -f

doas shutdown -r now

Back