Embedded Swag

OP
OP
Phishfry

Phishfry

Son of Beastie

Oh yeah. 50 bucks and it works. It has 385 hours on the SSD's SMART counter.

Windows 7 loaded on boot right into someones profile. Looks like someone is using this demo machine as a desktop.
Of course I only peeked once and booted up off my FreeBSD memstick and disinfected the mark of the beast with a healthy dd.

OP
OP
Phishfry

Phishfry

Son of Beastie

I got a $995 media player for $100 new from ebay. Brightsign absorbed Tightrope so sell it off..
https://www.carouselsignage.com/specs/carousel-270

Turns out it is a Intel NUC5i3 with a 5010U and 120GB SATA M.2 and my first M.2 Wifi slot (Intel AC8620 nogo on FreeBSD).
It is in an armored case. 8GB RAM
Runs FreeBSD like a champ. I am using displayport-to-VGA adapter so no sound checks.
What a freaky UEFI BIOS...Things are a changing...
I think this is it but they cite higher wattage(mine maybe downclocked):
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc5i3ryh.html

ronaldlees

Aspiring Daemon

That looks like a real bargain. The spec-sheet says 2 GHz and 6W - 30W (peak) power consumption - not bad for Intel. Looks like you got the only one listed currently ... although I see a "model 230" (but don't know its architecture). Are you using the displayport?

OP
OP
Phishfry

Phishfry

Son of Beastie

I am using one of the two mini-display port with a Startech Mini-DP to VGA adapter.
Maybe its time to finally buy a display port monitor. I didn't realize it offered audio over the display port like HDMI.

The item was bought from a from a group of 5. Someone else scooped up the other 4 and they bought the other sole 270Hnd that was for sale at $95+$12s/h. What a good deal they got. If I had only known what I was buying I would have bought more.
Took a risk with a sparse ebay listing and scored. Heck a plain NUC is much more let alone without an Innodisk SATA M.2 120GB disk and 8GB RAM.

2 GHz and 6W - 30W (peak) power consumption - not bad for Intel
This has to be one of the best features of this min-box. No DC wall wart. It takes a straight up 110VAC cord.
Hallelujah.
I am reading that the newer processors use "TDP-down" which is a option to downclock the chip for power budgets.
TDP 15 W
Configurable TDP-down Frequency 600 MHz
Configurable TDP-down 10 W

OP
OP
Phishfry

Phishfry

Son of Beastie

When I pop'ed open the top I was happy to see a Compact Flash Slot and SATA disk. Usually I use the CF for FreeBSD.
This box was giving me trouble recognizing a CF Card. So looked at the spec's and it calls for a CFex card.
This is a 50pin format identical to CF pin wise but it uses a SATA interface.
There in not one seller of CFex on the planet. The manual had a picture of a module so I know they exist.
Just impossible to buy.
https://www.mitwell.com.tw/products/CFEX-w-SLC.html

ronaldlees

Aspiring Daemon

I had a similar problem with one of my boards. My regular SanDisk CF is only 50 MB/sec - so it would be much better to have the CFex. I don't think they made that many of them. Could get lucky on Ebay.

OP
OP
Phishfry

Phishfry

Son of Beastie

Well you know I am an oddball when I scrape ebay for the Intel Atom C2xxx embedded boxes which got recalled.
These chips have a bad timer that can stop working and brick the boards.
So I was really surprised at how much Cisco had used the C2xxx in their products.
The only deal I got so far is a 4 port shelf unit with Intel LAN 'Avaya Core' OEM'ed by Portwell. C2558 in it. I paid 80 bucks.

Is the C2XXX really faulty? What are your experiences? I skipped the C2XXX except for a Netgate SG2220 which died early.

So here is a deal I think everyone can appreciate: A Cisco mobile router with MC7350 inside and C2xxxx
https://www.ebay.com/itm/312200149689
I bought two just because I need some more modems. The rest is gravy.

What do yaw think, Can I get FreeBSD to run on it? I bought 2 just in-case I brick one.
My first MiniUSB serial console Cisco.

OP
OP
Phishfry

Phishfry

Son of Beastie

Oh yea, Those 7" TouchScreen IEI computers from above I finally got a chance to pop open.
Pretty nice but weird layout. Half length MiniPCIe slot for Wifi. 2GB RAM embedded.
8GB Half Length mSATA card. These are real weird modules only found in some tablets.
Luckily I had some Sandisk 24GB modules so I added that and upgraded the RealTek 8188 to an Atheros module.
Has touchscreen and dual Intel LAN.
I am up to 6 with 2 more for sale from the seller(his last 2).
They are rather plastic'ey feeling(compared to earlier N270 AFL3-W07), but the inside of the back cover is lined with copper mesh, for its use in medical facilities(Cerner).
He dropped them even more so its 70 bucks for a brand new touchscreen computer with N2930. Very cool running.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202336621457
Same seller has last 2 up now. Some kind of Hospital Care Linux installed so you can see the touchscreen in action.
Have not tried an Xorg install yet. The usb touch controller looks like it is supported in dmesg.

OP
OP
Phishfry

Phishfry

Son of Beastie

OK One more deal I have to chat about.
I don't care for HP but this $45 deal caught my eye. HP DeskPro 600 G1 Mini.
So what we have here is a socket 1150 Haswell mini. (Most mini's use soldered on CPU)
The listing is really vague so all I really needed was the heatsink.
Sideways assembly using a very special fan pointing out the back..

So the package came in 3 days and it included the heatsink. It also had the HD caddy and special SATA cable.
Only need CPU, RAM and SSD. Rubber grommets for hard drive isolators missing too. Needed.

I really like the feel of this build. Some quality engineering went into the design.
Nice thick metal chassis, It uses a 2280 M.2 for AHCI/SATA underneath the fan.
So you could have 2 drives, 2.5" and M.2 2280.

The Newer HP DeskPro 600 G2 uses a NVMe and looks mostly the same as the G1.
The G3 is the newest and no hard drive bay but NVMe only. The chassis looks like much more plastic.
The same seller that i got my G1 from has G2 for $90 and $130. Same exact listing.
Screwy seller. These are off lease with corporate stickers all over them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322947784604?
Here is a G1 memory upgrade where you see details of some of the internals.

So Skylake platform G2 mini. Is the cooler included? Caddy? These deals are tricky. Deals always are.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332547682554

There is also the DeskPro 800 line and ElitePro 400 line.
I really can't figure out the difference between 400,600,800 lines. The parts are interchangeable between G1 series.
HP also calls their SFF desktop by the same monikers (DeskPro 600) so it's a mess.

I have not fired up this G1 thing yet as parts are enroute. Hopefully there are no surprises in the BIOS.
Someone in a forum was mentioning BIOS locked. I have a off lease laptop Dell with that too.
Really stops nothing. Pain in the behind but still usable. Off lease corporate boxes are cheap for a reason.

Chris_H

Daemon

OK One more deal I have to chat about.
I don't care for HP but this $45 deal caught my eye. HP DeskPro 600 G1 Mini.
So what we have here is a socket 1150 Haswell mini. (Most mini's use soldered on CPU)
The listing is really vague so all I really needed was the heatsink.
Sideways assembly using a very special fan pointing out the back..

So the package came in 3 days and it included the heatsink. It also had the HD caddy and special SATA cable.
Only need CPU, RAM and SSD. Rubber grommets for hard drive isolators missing too. Needed.

I really like the feel of this build. Some quality engineering went into the design.
Nice thick metal chassis, It uses a 2280 M.2 for AHCI/SATA underneath the fan.
So you could have 2 drives, 2.5" and M.2 2280.

The Newer HP DeskPro 600 G2 uses a NVMe and looks mostly the same as the G1.
The G3 is the newest and no hard drive bay but NVMe only. The chassis looks like much more plastic.
The same seller that i got my G1 from has G2 for $90 and $130. Same exact listing.
Screwy seller. These are off lease with corporate stickers all over them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322947784604?
Here is a G1 memory upgrade where you see details of some of the internals.

So Skylake platform G2 mini. Is the cooler included? Caddy? These deals are tricky. Deals always are.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332547682554

There is also the DeskPro 800 line and ElitePro 400 line.
I really can't figure out the difference between 400,600,800 lines. The parts are interchangeable between G1 series.
HP also calls their SFF desktop by the same monikers (DeskPro 600) so it's a mess.

I have not fired up this G1 thing yet as parts are enroute. Hopefully there are no surprises in the BIOS.
Someone in a forum was mentioning BIOS locked. I have a off lease laptop Dell with that too.
Really stops nothing. Pain in the behind but still usable. Off lease corporate boxes are cheap for a reason.
Yep. That HP is capable of some pretty great engineering. Back in the beginning they had a magazine (forgot it's name. Been a l-o-n-g while -- early/mid 80's). Really low-level geek stuff. The stuff that created the beginnings of what we now call "computer technology". They had the best minds in the field! Then they became the "Printer Guys". Excellent printers. But not nearly as cool. Still. They manage to let something cool slip out onto the market, once and awhile. :)
Bummer about their BIOS' tho. That's always been my gripe -- even in the old days. I used to hack them (rewrite them). Like you; I've seen some tempting offers on the eBay, and think it might be time to dredge up some of my old tools, and get to hacking some BIOS. That rig you're talking about sounds like a good possibility. But, as usual. Not keen on the CPU. ;)

Good luck!

--Chris

OP
OP
Phishfry

Phishfry

Son of Beastie

I really took the ultimate gamble for the DeskPro 600 CPU with Ivy Creek 4785T. Listed as customer return off ebay. As is.
Now usually I shy away from As-is, but he had a real good picture of the bottom of the cpu. $85 is half of most on there.
Guess what, not one single mark on any CPU pads. Ad said was returned did not work with computer. I was leary.
It has never had power to it. I can see with a magnifier it has no usage. It errodeds a tiny spot away.
I have even seen socket fingers fused to the CPU bottom on the overclockers.
Heck1155 pins in such a small area is crazy. I was comparing the 'stoutness' of the 775 fingers and they are much thicker.
Roughly same package size. Can you Imagine 2011 pins.
That is what's up next up... I am looking at Asrock Rack board with single LGA2011-3/4. I would go with another Gigabyte server class board but the slot arrangement is not what I want. Same with Supermicro. I really hate to gamble with Asrock Rack.
Best slot arrangement wins.

Here is a question for the ultimate hardware guru:
Why do many server boards use a Lattice chip for PCIe? These CPU's have 40 lanes.
My puny brain says E3 Xeons with only 16 lanes would need Lattice multiplexing to squeeze every bit.
But LGA2011 uses 40 lanes on the better on their CPU's. Yet they are using a Lattice chip.
Why a Lattice multiplexer on the 40 Lane motherboards not 16 Lanes boards.
Why don't any of the great Arm boards of the future use some sort of Lattice PCIe bus chip?
Are these chips that expensive?
Pi I understand($40), but my Hummingboard with A7 cortex was $180 bucks. It should have a lattice chip and PCIe bus.
Not USB bus.
I wish I was an electronics engineer. I should know this. stuff.

Chris_H

Daemon

Short answer; Money, and IP.
It's getting close to 1am here, and I've got to get up at 5am.
But I'll elaborate a little later. :)

--Chris

OP
OP
Phishfry

Phishfry

Son of Beastie

A Cisco mobile router with MC7350 inside and C2xxxx
Well I finally met my maker. A X86 board I cound not run FreeBSD on. They seem to have a custom firmware on these IR809:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/809-industrial-router/index.html
These use Intel C2338 Atom. The motherboard is split in two mounted on the aluminum case halves which act as heatsinks too.
Every chip has a pocket milled in the backside of the case so they all get cooling.
Lots of small intricate pocket work with a small endmill. Probably 75 tiny thermal pads installed too.
$35 was a steal. One for teardown and one to resuscitate. Cisco requires a service plan to get updates for these.
Ugggh. I hate that. So no security patches for free anymore. I will force it to ATT or trash it(VZW firmware on modem now).
So they sell you a $1200 box with a lemon CPU and then no firmware updates for used ones. Bahhh.

I did scrape the MC7350 Sierra modem out of my teardown to try and freshen firmware in a notebook and flash to ATT instead of Verizon. I have never worked with MC7350. They do use the same firmware as MC7354/MC7355.
Once I get a hardware site up this will be first up. Very nice engineering here worthy of pictures..

OP
OP
Phishfry

Phishfry

Son of Beastie

I really took the ultimate gamble for the DeskPro 600 CPU with Ivy Creek 4785T. Listed as customer return off ebay. As is.
Now usually I shy away from As-is, but he had a real good picture of the bottom of the cpu. $85 is half of most on there.
Yea, how did that work out. $85 clams down the drain. Burned again by a AS-IS. What a dope I am.
Should I negative feedback him? He was clear. As-Is.
$85 bucks is priced like someone who has done this before. They knew it was bad and needed to find a dolt.

Sore loser in me wants to give him a negative. His reply from my email for sympathy is a factor too.
Throw me a bone. 10 bucks back would make me happy.

I guess I need to take the good deals and balance them against the bad.
The DeskPro 600 is also busted. That was only $35 and some usable parts.

It's been a bad week in the junk recovery world.